Starting treatment again

round2
Occasional Contributor

Starting treatment again

I've just finished around 18 months of treatment after my shock diagnosis of rectal cancer. Tumour removed, ileostomy reversed, radiotherapy and 5 cycles of chemo all done. "Remission" at last! You kind of forget how much pain all that caused, how your life is nowhere near the same and wonder why you just can't get "well". That's because it's back and it's been on the move in the 4 months since chemo finished and it's now dotted around my lungs. The Drs are rushed in hospital, no privacy to discuss the diagnosis and being told it's back and it's not curable was shocking to say the least and then he's gone and you're left to figure out what that means. Great! Gearing up for round 2 has been much more difficult, there are no assurances of beating it this time - not that I would ever believe them again after what has happened. I'm shocked, angry and stressed waiting to see how this new treatment will affect me. I have to take the pump pack home this time, portacath fitted and just waiting for the start date. Just hating cancer a bit today and needed to vent. I've been reading through some of the other stories and it's been a tough read. Good luck to other sufferers, carers, relatives and friends that are on this horrible roller coaster.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Sasha
Not applicable

Re: Starting treatment again

I've sent you a private message
0 Kudos
DG
Contributor

I'm so sorry to hear your news, its very devastating isn't it, especially going through it after having been through it! "C" stinks BIG time It's heartbreaking to read peoples stories and know that this is affecting so many people all of the time I hope you are feeling reasonably ok and wish you all the best in your fight, I'm sure you can win!! xx
0 Kudos
round2
Occasional Contributor

Thanks DG, I just read your message. Chemo was last week and I was really ill but I'm coming through it and working on building up some more strength before next week's treatment. It is much harder treatment than last time and I guess I was a little unprepared. I'm lucky to have heaps of support so I know to stay down next week and just let them pick up the pieces for a few days, oh and I'm stocking up on anti nausea meds! I hope you are doing well also - keep fighting Kim
0 Kudos
DG
Contributor

Yeah i am always getting told to do as my body wants as in if i need to rest then rest! sleep then sleep! I'm pleased that u have a lot of support as do i, we need it and sometimes LOTS of it, Im pretty tired and fall asleep at the drop of a hat, in the middle of conversations! it puts me off going anywhere in case i cant keep up with everyone and therefore spoil it for others, but at the same time if i continue that i wont do anything! I hope your feeling better than u was...... Take Care Kim Deb's
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.