Surgery is Over

Leeanne
Occasional Contributor

Surgery is Over

Have had ULAR (Ultra Low Anteriro Resection) at RPA and a successful operation to remove rectal bowel cancer and associated nodes etc. They also created a J-Pouch and I have a temporary Ileostomy bag. Doctors happy with the outcome as was T3N2M0 and now a T1N0M0. I was suppose to have another 5 months of chemo and then a reversal operation after that. Have to wait until see oncologist on that one as some talk of maybe no more chemo!!! Stoma nurses are great at teaching me how to change the bag and everything. Some adjustments to diet so I don't block the stoma and blow up like a balloon. All in all feel very positve about the future. Still just taking one day at a time and appreciate every moment.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
samex
Regular Contributor

Re: Surgery is Over

Hi leeanne, I had simiar surgery- left hemi-coloectomy, but no stoma in August 2007. It was followed by 6 months of chemo. I won't lie, it wa the worst 6 months of my life but I am still here! Hang in there and keep taking deep breaths to help you through whatever is thrown at you. ,Take care, Samex
0 Kudos
Leeanne
Occasional Contributor

Hi there Thank you for your reply. It gives me strength and hope that there are others out there who have been through this and have come out the other side. Just taking each day as it comes and allowing myself to just go with the flow (not so easy for me). Take care Leeanne
0 Kudos
samex
Regular Contributor

I understand what you are saying about going with the flow. I found it extremely difficult! I think it is important to be honest with your emotions and never be afraid to drop in here. We all 'get it' while those who haven't been on this journey may not. i ilke your image of coming out the other side. It is a tunnel but not always dark and there are many of us still here to chat to you. It is often hard to think that way when you are feeling revolting but try to stay focussed on those who have made it through to the other side. take care of yourself, S
0 Kudos
Mignon
Contributor

Hi Leanne, I worked with stoma pts for a while. We recommended that you put a few drops of perfume in a mask to breathe when first learning the changing of the bags, just until you get used to the differ odor. hope this helps. Mignon
0 Kudos
richard61
Occasional Contributor

Hi everyone; I am so sorry tell you that I may be met to lung. CT report just show a lot mets in the lung. Anybody knows anything about ? I had colon cancer t3 1/14 2009. Richard
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.