Thyroid cancer newbie. Would love a chat

Indiastella
Occasional Contributor

Thyroid cancer newbie. Would love a chat

Hi everyone. My name is India and about a month ago I had a full thyroidectomy. My recovery has been good and I'm finding the thyroxine to be working well (have been changed from 150mg to 100mg) but my doctor has now referred me to the royal Brisbane hospital to have radioactive iodine treatment. I was wondering if anyone has or is in a similar situation as I am. I'm only 18 years of age and am finding this quite daunting. Would really love to know what it will be like, everyone's journey and any general comments. Thanks 🙂
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Maggie_D8
Occasional Contributor

Re: Thyroid cancer newbie. Would love a chat

Hi India, My names Maggie I'm 16 and had my full thyroidectomy late last year, followed by radioactive iodine. Like you I've felt a bit lost and daunted by the whole process and rather Under informed. I am in year 11 this year and am struggling with staying On top of school work when my hormone levels are all over The shop. Where you in your final year of school when you where diagnosed? How did you cope with school life? It's nice to know there are other people closer to my age going through the same thing. Thanks, Maggie
0 Kudos
Indiastella
Occasional Contributor

Hi Maggie, Awh hun I'm so sorry to hear that :( I understand exactly how you are feeling. Long story short I had my nodules for 2 and a half years (from 2012) before I was operated on. I only found out that it was cancer four days after I had the full thyroidectomy. The reason why I kept putting the surgery off was because they (the doctors) could not tell me if my nodules were cancerous or not. I also did not want to have the surgery during my final years at school if it was not serious. Like you I did find school very hard through the whole process. My grades dramatically went down due to being at the doctors, hospital, getting blood tests and ultrasounds but the one thing I found really helped was my teachers. I don't know what kind of position you are in at school (if you are close with your teachers or if they even know what is happening) but they really helped me. I only told two of my very close friends what was happening and some of the teachers whom I was close with as I did not people to be worried or fussing over me. I tried as much as possible to not put any unnecessary pressure on myself. If I felt as though things were getting too hard or I didn't have enough time to finish assignments I'd talk to my teachers and they would sort a different schedule. I know this is such a stressful time but just breathe. Be sure to make time for yourself. Eat well and do things that make you happy. I'd love to be able to talk more about everything :) India x
0 Kudos
Indiastella
Occasional Contributor

Hi Maggie, Awh hun I'm so sorry to hear that :( I understand exactly how you are feeling. Add me on Facebook so it will be easier to chat (India Stella Clark-Herbert) Long story short I had my nodules for 2 and a half years (from 2012) before I was operated on. I only found out that it was cancer four days after I had the full thyroidectomy. The reason why I kept putting the surgery off was because they (the doctors) could not tell me if my nodules were cancerous or not. I also did not want to have the surgery during my final years at school if it was not serious. Like you I did find school very hard through the whole process. My grades dramatically went down due to being at the doctors, hospital, getting blood tests and ultrasounds but the one thing I found really helped was my teachers. I don't know what kind of position you are in at school (if you are close with your teachers or if they even know what is happening) but they really helped me. I only told two of my very close friends what was happening and some of the teachers whom I was close with as I did not people to be worried or fussing over me. I tried as much as possible to not put any unnecessary pressure on myself. If I felt as though things were getting too hard or I didn't have enough time to finish assignments I'd talk to my teachers and they would sort a different schedule. I know this is such a stressful time but just breathe. Be sure to make time for yourself. Eat well and do things that make you happy. Please please please add me so we can chat more. I'd love to be able to talk more about everything :) India x
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.