Thyroid cancer treatment

EmmaS
New Contributor

Thyroid cancer treatment

Hi, my name is Emma and I’m 37.  I was diagnosed with Thyroid cancer a couple of months ago when I was 17weeks pregnant. I had half of my thyroid removed at 20 weeks pregnant. My beautiful daughter was born very healthy a month ago. I have another operation to remove the other half of my thyroid on the 4th of May and will be getting iodine radiation around December/January, depending on if my milk supply has dried up or not (the societies are allowing me to breastfeed for six months). I was wondering if any one here had been pregnant when diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer?  If anyone has experience with iodine radiation treatment who has kids? And if so how long did you have to isolate from your kids? Just feeling a little nervous about being away from Bub for a long period. 

4 REPLIES 4
Li22y
Occasional Contributor

Re: Thyroid cancer treatment

Definitely following this . 

I too diagnosed with thyroid cancer in March . I just had surgery and will have radiation iodine in a month or 2 . 

I don’t have a bub but two young boys . My plan was to given them to my mum a few days when I come back so they can have a “ sleep over”. 
I’m really worried what lies ahead though. 

EmmaS
New Contributor

I know how you feel. My surgery is today and it’s so different now i’m mum. I have never been anxious about medical procedures in the past but the anxiety is real today. My plan for radiation is that Bub will be staying with my husband and I will be going to my mum and dads. Just not sure how long I will have to stay away from her for. I don’t want to put her in danger but it will be so hard to be away from her even for a day let alone longer than that.
Li22y
Occasional Contributor

Hey how did the surgery go ? Xx

EmmaS
New Contributor

Surgery went well,  but recovery has been hard with a 2mth old. I’m still very tired and sore. 

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.