Tongue cancer and now radiation

Kuljeet
New Contributor

Tongue cancer and now radiation

Hi all,

Just on October 23,2018 got operated with tongue cancer, was grade2 tumor had neck dissection and all my 4 lymph nodes results came negative now  moving ahead with radiation therapy, so here to undergo and understand what side effects  to expect from all this ImRt radiation.

5 REPLIES 5
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: Tongue cancer and now radiation

Welcome to the community @Kuljeet, how are you doing today?

Has anyone here had experience with radiation therapy and can maybe help out Kuljeet?

The following are some Australian resources that you may find useful:

0 Kudos
Kuljeet
New Contributor

Just started undergoing the radiation treatment always feeling scared as what's next and how to cope up with the symptoms.

What to eat and drink that can prevent or help me have reduced side effects of radiation will be really helpful.

0 Kudos
Edwin
New Contributor

Radiation side effects apparently different for everyone.  I concluded my voice box radiation one week ago and  have sore throat, feel fatigued and a little shaky.  Apparently the throat soreness can subside quickly or stay around for months.   As the Doc says, everyone reacts differently to radiation.  

0 Kudos
Rahul14
Occasional Contributor

Please update on your sitution. My dad will be starting radiation in about 2 weeks. He has stage 2 tongue cancer, lymph nodes came back negative. Did you had to do chemo and how are you doing now afterwards? Let me know anything that can help make my dads situation easier. 🙏🏼🙏🏼

0 Kudos
Edwin
New Contributor

I concluded my 28 radiation treatments for larynx cancer on Dec. 10.  First week out was a little rough, but after 7 days things got better every day.  Aftr a month almost back to normal.  I'm feeling great now.  My lympth nodes were negative and, therefore, no chemo was necessary.  I return every 6 weeks for one year for a check-up, with endoscopy.  I only lost about 4 pounds during the radiation ordeal and quickly gained back all my weight about 2 weeks after conclusion of radiation.  I found the following foods -drinks to be the easiest to swallow during radiation--any noodle soup, spinach, popsicles, mashed potatoes, tomato soup, gingerale, fish, and yogurts.  Looking back, the neck radiation burns were the hardest part and not much you can do. Even Oxy couldn't do the job on the worst days.  I found Tylenol-PM the best.  Cut down the pain and help to sleep.  Sincere very best of luck to your Dad.  

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.