opinions on surgery versus radiation

mumoftwo
New Contributor

Hello, I am the mum of a five year old boy who has been diagnosed with a brain stem glioma grade 2 fully encased within the brain stem. Four doctors experts in this field are telling me not to have surgery and to follow the path of radiation. However,  Dr Teo is telling me to definetly operate saying there is a good chance of success and informing me of the complications or "deficits" that can happen. Could anybody especially those with a similar tumour type in children who have experience this dilmena please relate your knowledge and thoughts on this subject. I am interested in the quality of life of children and also long term prospects. Many thanks,   Sandra Mumoftwo
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Not applicable

Hi Sandra, My heart really goes out to you. You must be so worried about your little boy, I have 2 boys and they are my world, I can only imagine what you are going through right now. Thankfully the little ones are very resilient & I think much tougher than us adults. I don't know what the answer is to your question about the surgery vs radiation. A very hard decision Im guessing, although your post was back in August so I hope you have a successful outcome & were able to get some Medical advice to your questions. I think most of us would have heard ot Dr Teo, from what I have heard he is excellent. Please update us on here when you are ready. My thoughts are with you and your little boy. Take care
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.