pancreatic survivor ?

Kezza1
New Contributor

pancreatic survivor ?

New to these forums, my name is Cary, I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in july of last year, soon after having an unsuccessful whipples.After many ERCP the doctor thought veins and arteries would be clear, they were not, so he had to close me back up. After healing chemo and radiation began. Chemo is a mongrel of a thing with the last month of it also including radiation,30 days of it, the last 7 of which they concentrated on the tumour itself. Had to then wait until the new year when another ERCP was done and it was decided that the tumour had reacted favouribly. Another Whipple was done on 17 january, according to my doctor very successful, clear margins no nasties any where else.Was recovering very well, I was home in 2 weeks but was then hit with a pulmonary embolism back in for another 2 weeks,home now 4 weeks after the whipple.Plase dont ask me about surviving after a whipple cause I am still very new to that. At the moment all I can really tell you is eating small works best and avoid fats.Anybody got any questions please email me Il try to answer you
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
me_mum
Contributor

Re: pancreatic survivor ?

Thanks Cary for sharing your story, mum was diagnosed in October this year 2016. Within one month she was developing Jaundice and had back pain, nausea and was not eating well. She was set to have a Whipple procedure last friday but they saw that the tumour had grown more than 4cm from when she had her last scan. So they did two bypasses one to fix the jaundice and one to assist with digestion. She just arrived back home two days ago and is still abit nauseated and has troubles eating (my guess is she is still recovering from the operation).

The doctors have advised she do strong Chemotherapy  (i am not sure what this involves yet), to shrink the tumour to then be able to complete the Whipple procedure Feb 2017. My worry is will the tumour spread before she starts chemo which is a month away. 

Any advice would be great.

I am happy to also provide support and share my knowledge of what we have experienced with anyone going through the same diagnosis.

0 Kudos
Christie
Occasional Visitor

Hi Kezza 1, 

its good to hear that your doing well. I was also diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in October last year and initially I was going to have the whipple operation but then the surgeon decided that the tumour needed to shrink and move away from a couple of arteries. I've six sessions of chemotherapy and it is the worst, all the side effects are bad. About the only thing I haven't had is the vomiting and to some extent the nausea. No one can really understand the extent it affects because outwardly everything seems normal. I'm suppose to have the whipple operation in the beginning of march and then the chemotherapy again. 

I feel that I am no longer me. 

0 Kudos
Pearl40

My husband was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last May, he had chemotherapy from July 2020 until December. He had whipple surgery February 2 and is having excruciating pain post whipple.  Any ideas on how to help with the pain?

0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

Hi Pearl40

Hopefully as time passes the pain should start to improve,you didn’t specify where the pain is,Has it been suggested to your husband about pain management with patches,until his body settles,

I know my body took quite awhile to become used to post Whipple ,it is major surgery,physically and mentally,best wishes with recovery.

kj

0 Kudos
MyheroCoolSpy
Frequent Contributor

Hoping that your recovery will be consistent. I also agree that we should avoid fats as they can increase the risk of heart disease and stroke. But, curious, what kind of fats are you referring to?

0 Kudos
Nosewind
New Contributor

I had the Whipple in Dec. 2020. They removed the cancer and most of the pancreas. I was supposed to start chemo within 8 weeks of the surgery but due to complications, infections and some pancreatitis, I never did start. The stomach spasms and pain were no joke. After 5 ERCP procedures, I finally  feel pretty darn good. It's May '21.  I lost 50 lbs  and I have decided to not do chemo at all. I have always been very active and at 63, I don't know how many summers I have left but I don't want to waste any. I am involved in a testing program with Signatera, which I'll get every 3 months. Like a blood DNA test.  Don't know where this will lead but I'm optimistic.

kj
Super Contributor

Hi Nosewind

Good luck and best wishes for the rest of your journey 

kj

0 Kudos
Nosewind
New Contributor

How's it going?
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.