Thank you for your support, Emily. We talked to another doc yesterday who said she has no problem at all for just doing the 3 week course. We have decided that is what we are going to do, since going to all these appointments is really very hard on all of us.
... View more
Hi all - my husband of 16 years was recently diagnosed with glioblastoma (which is farily large). The symptoms came on very quickly (Christmas 2018) so we are still in shock to say the least. The doctors are getting ready to start radiation & chemo (oral), which we approved because I need more time with him ... so long as he tolerates it, of course. The doctor has given us a decision to make and we cannot find enough information that we are 100% comfortable making. I am hoping you all can help. My husband is 73 years old (I am 56). He has COPD, diabetes, and stage 4 kidney disease (which has been stable for quite awhile now). Until the brain tumor symptoms showed up you wouldn't have guessed he was sick (or 73). The decision we need to make is this: 3 weeks or 6 weeks of radiation therapy (3 weeks would be at higher dosage) My husband cannot dress himself or walk by himself and although he usually can tell me when he needs to go to the bathroom, he has to wear diapers ... so going anywhere is a bit of work. Not impossible and certainly wouldn't stop us from doing what we need to do. We live about 10 miles from the hospital. Not a bad drive so long as it's not commuter traffic time. The doctor said that HE would chose 6 weeks unless we lived far away, but I cannot remember why (all these details!). I'm thinking because the possible side effects could be less (since the dose is lower). Surgery isn't an option. We have researched this like crazy and found only one small study that SEEMS to say there is no difference (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5620204/). But we are not doctors and are terrified at making the wrong decision. Of course we (my son, age 32, lives with us and helps us with everything) would prefer 3 weeks as getting my husband ready daily for 6 weeks sounds daunting. That said, if 6 weeks would be better we would certainly be willing and able to do 6 weeks. But should we? It's more stress on my husband, too. Even before he got sick he was a homebody and hated going to doctors, etc. But he is willing to do what we decide (so long as there is still QUALITY in his life). What we want is more time with him. I can't breath when I think about losing him. How does one make this sort of decision? Does anyone know enough about this stuff to give us some advice? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
... View more
Cancer Council NSW would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land on which we live and work.We would also like to pay respect to elders past and present and extend that respect to all other Aboriginal people.