16 yr old son diagnosed with testicular cancer, I'm not coping

Ratty
Not applicable

16 yr old son diagnosed with testicular cancer, I'm not coping

Hello unfortunately I have been drawn to this site like everyone here. My son has just been diagnosed with testicular cancer, he was operated on last week to remove the tumour and we are now waiting on ct scan results to see if it has spread. I feel like I am in a nightmare,I am very strong and positive around my son but my alone quiet times I am so overwhelmed with saddness.... How do i get through this?
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Jules2
Super Contributor

Re: 16 yr old son diagnosed with testicular cancer, I'm not ...

Hiya Ratty I am so sorry to hear of your son's diagnosis. You will get through this! At the moment you are going through one of the worst times with waiting for results. There are a number of organisations that you can get help from and the cancer council being one. Canteen might be helpful for your son to get involved with, although, he may not be ready to do that just yet. This site is a good place to share and vent because everyone understands the need to do that. take care Julie
0 Kudos
Sailor
Deceased

G'day Ratty It is a real fright, but the story is not all that bad. According to the Cancer Council Victoria's most recent information on cancer survival: "The 5-year survival for men with testicular cancer is 99%, the highest survival rate of any cancer." Time trends: "Survival improved over the 15 years from 1990 from 93% to 99%." "A clinician’s comment “The excellent survival for testis cancer is a reflection of the marked sensitivity of this cancer to treatment including surgery, radiation and chemotherapy. The improvement in survival since the 1980s is likely to be due to several factors, particularly the identification of highly effective chemotherapy in the late 1970s and early 1980s, and increased awareness of the condition resulting in diagnosis and treatment at an earlier stage.”" So while it is a worrying time just at the moment, and it is going to be a pretty rough period for you all in the next few months, the long term outlook is pretty good. There are some questions that you need to ask of his clinicians and they may have already raised these issues with you. You do need to ask about future fertility issues and what the options are. You also need to ask about the psychological effects and seek to have counseling available if it is necessary. So do take care but remember, the long term outlook is good. Cheers Sailor So when storm clouds come sailing across your blue ocean Hold fast to your dreaming for all that you’re worth For as long as there are dreamers there will always be sailors Bringing back their bright treasures from the corners of earth. Eric Bogle, Safe in the Harbour
0 Kudos
rachaeljane
New Contributor

I understand how hard this is for you just to hear the words cancer in relaion to your child you know i think the waiting is the hardest because you are just sitting feeling like you are doing nothing at least when there is treatment, surgery it feels like you are fighting we have just done 6 weeks chemo and radiation and now we have the wait of 3-4 weeks before more tests and find out if it helped at all. Im sure it must be extremly difficult for your son as i understand that on a young childs body where this cancer is its not easy to be showing as i know my own daughters discomfort. I hope for the best for your son. Rachael
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.