50th Wedding Anniversary

DizzyDee
Occasional Contributor

50th Wedding Anniversary

I would really appreciate any input that anyone can give me as I am completely lost. On July 9th this year, my parents will have been married 50yrs. Unfortunately my Dad may not be here in July. But if he is, and I hope he makes it a lot longer than that, I would really like to do something for their anniversary. He is already very sick and by July will be unlikely to be able to accomplish much and in truth even when he was well he was not much of a celebration man. But I know it would mean a lot to him and even more to my Mum, if they can reach this milestone together. In fact I think he will try to hang on for that very reason. I am just at a loss as to know what to do for them, that will give the occasion the joy and memories that anyone who reaches this momentous time deserve.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
samex
Regular Contributor

Re: 50th Wedding Anniversary

Hi, My parents had their 60th last year and if you contact your local Federal member, they will do all that is required. My parents received a card from various dignataries including the Governor General and my mother was speechless with the card from the Queen! I'm pretty certain that the same applies for 50 years. I merely e-mailed my local member and her secretary contacted me within a couple of days. You will need a copy of the marriage certificate or your birth certificctae which may have their marriage date on it. I don't know how well your Dad`is, but we took them out for lunch - just te immediate family and they had a wonderful day and had flowers delivered on the actual day of the anniversary. We actually had all of the mail sent to us and presented it to them as a surpise at the lunch. As`I said, my mum was speechless.and that is saying something! As I said, first step contact your local memeber and I think you will find them particularly helpful as it is an election year. Good luck with it all. samex
0 Kudos
DizzyDee
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Samex, I think that is a great idea to pursue. Unfortunately my Dad is already too sick to want to go out to lunch or dinner, that is why I was asking on here. Just on the mere hope that someone else out there may have some ideas. I will look into yours though. Once again thank you.
0 Kudos
samex
Regular Contributor

I hope that the information is correct and that the relevant people can help. I would stress your Dad's situation to them and the process may be able to happena little faster. If you then have all of the bits and pieces, you can have the celebration at the right time for all of you. As I said, my parents got an enormous thrill from the correspondences and photos that were sent. Good luck with everything. It must be terribly hard for you. Samex
0 Kudos
caring_partner
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dizzy Dee, My husband just had his 50th birthday two days before our wedding on Saturday. All he wanted was his close family to be together (we went out to dinner although you could do it at home.) He didn't want much fuss just those that mean so much to him to get together and this might be the way to go with your parents. You could make it a lunch if you think he will be too tired at night.Hope you can make some plans that are pretty stress free for all of you. Take care Gail xx
0 Kudos
vera
Occasional Contributor

Hi my husband also has pancreatic cancer - what he likes is to see people and hear happy conversations - stay upbeat and if he falls asleep or wants to leave the room just carry on the conversation and let him be- he really just wants all of you to be happy. Good luck - this really is a cruel disease
0 Kudos
DizzyDee
Occasional Contributor

Thank you all so much for taking the precious time out of your lives to answer me. I really appreciate all the input and cannot believe the strength that you all have. All your ideas are wondrous. Hugs an Positive thoughts Dizzy
0 Kudos
deejjay
Contributor

Hi Dizzy What do your parents want to do for their 50th anniversary, when do they want to celebrate it and so forth. Maybe 2 celebrations would be in order, one soon so your father is well enough to really enjoy say an at home party/bar b que which could even be catered for including set up, provision of tables/table ware and afterwards cleaning to save your parents on cooking and preparation. And then another on the actual anniversary to be tailored for your father's health. Anyhow let us know what you and your parents and others do decide. Hugs Deejjay
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.