A time to go.................. GBM grade 4 tumour

peanutz
Frequent Contributor

Re: A time to go.................. GBM grade 4 tumour

Hi Geoff, long time no hearing from you. Just wondering how you and Lorraine are doing. Hope things aren't too bad for both of you.
0 Kudos
storm
Contributor

Hi Nat Not been on the Cancer site …kind of lost the hope and incentive. We have a nurse come in Mon, Wed and Friday for showering, however today she had a bed bath (pain in her stomach and bowel for the last 3 days so moving her is difficult and with her energy being low for 3 days - a new stage?) Also palliative care nurses once every 2 weeks with options of coming when and if required. So I am surprised with the amount of support out there Lorraine continues to deteriorate she is now very quiet in our day to day communication, she cannot form any words except an occasional yes /no after significant repeated closed questions otherwise its a babble, she has lost the remaining strength of her legs so toilet is an issue Incontinent pants are used 4-5 changes during the day and much washing of clothes and bed linen. Her appetite is good. Most of the day she just sits and I feel for her boredom (well my perceived sense that she is bored as the tumour and/or drugs may place her in a ‘stupor’ (I can’t think of a better word to best describe her state) We used to get out each day with me pushing her around on a wheelchair but this may not be obtainable in the future unless I can get the pain management under control and her energy increases. Speaking with a friend today who will conduct her funeral that reopened my awareness of where Lorraine is grief to the surface once again – her death/her going/leaving. The friend will come around Friday and I am feeling I do not want to go through this - this talk and recognition of a new and closer stage. Ps If you are doing full/part time caring for Dennis be aware that there is a carers allowance approximately $110/ fortnight you can claim from Centerlink (as well as another carers payment - but that is related to any other monies you might have coming into your accounts I did not bother as I am on compassionate leave from my work and still getting a salary). Register as soon as you can as any payments are only applicable from the day you register as intending to claim. The form must be also signed by doctor/palliative care nurse as you being the carer of Dennis. So speak to your palliative care nurses for initial advice Hugs Geoff
0 Kudos
storm
Contributor

Hi Nat Not been on the Cancer site …kind of lost the hope and incentive. We have a nurse come in Mon, Wed and Friday for showering, however today she had a bed bath (pain in her stomach and bowel for the last 3 days so moving her is difficult and with her energy being low for 3 days - a new stage?) Also palliative care nurses once every 2 weeks with options of coming when and if required. So I am surprised with the amount of support out there Lorraine continues to deteriorate she is now very quiet in our day to day communication she cannot form any words an occasional yes /no after significant repeated closed questions , she has lost the remaining strength of her legs so toilet is an issue Incontinent pants are used 4-5 changes during the day . Her appetite is good. Most of the day she just sits and I feel for her boredom (well my perceived sense that she is bored as the tumour and/or drugs may place her in a ‘stupor’ (I can’t think of a better word to best describe her state) We used to get out each day with me pushing her around on a wheelchair but this may not be obtainable in the future until I can get the pain management under control and her energy increases Speaking with a friend today who will conduct her funeral.... that talk reopened my awareness of where Lorraine is and again feeling of grief to the surface once again – her death/her going/leaving. The friend will come around Friday and I am feeling I do not want to go through this - this talk and recognition of a new and closer stage Ps If you are doing full/part time caring for Dennis be aware that there is a carers allowance approximately $110/ fortnight you can claim from Centerlink (as well as another carers payment - but that is related to any other monies you might have coming into your accounts I did not bother as I am on compassionate leave from my work and still getting a salary). Register as soon as you can as any payments are only applicable from the day you register as intending to claim. The form must be also signed by doctor/palliative care nurse as you being the carer of Dennis. So speak to your palliative care nurses for initial advice Hugs Geoff
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.