A wife who is emotionally disconnected

dshulman
New Contributor

A wife who is emotionally disconnected

My wife and I have been married for  26 years. Our marriage have been mired with arguements and in some cases even rudeon my behalf.

In 2015 my wife had her first signs of mid life crisis and in 2017 she had been diagnosed with thyroid cancer.

In October 2017 she had it removed.

Ever since her operation she had gradually become hostile to me and her total behavior changed as if a new person was taking over her. In April 2018 she has asked me to deparate from me and during a four hours conversations she said things which objectively were not sound such as if I had already a girl friend and so on. 

Ever since her atititiude beamoe hostile and arrogant to the point where she stopped talking to me completely.  The only thing that she shows towards me is extreme contempt.

I would like to know if anyone has encountered such a behavior or something similar.

Regards 

David

4 REPLIES 4
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Re: A wife who is emotionally disconnected

Hi David, I'm not in your situation but I know people who are.  I'm part of a Facebook group of women caring for their husbands who have cancer, and a change is attitude and behaviour (for the worse) is sadly common among these men.  Is your wife on steroids?  Often these changes can be caused by the medication people are on.  I would recommend discussing this with your wife's doctor, as they may be able to change her medication to help- and even if it's not the medication you still need support to deal with this.  I can also recommend searching the internet or facebook for a support group for men caring for their wives with cancer- having a spouse with cancer is unlike any other situation, and it's great to talk to people who understand and may be in the same situation as you.  I wish both of you good luck into the future, Emily

dshulman
New Contributor

Hi Emily

Thank you for your quick reply.

Could you kindly tell me under which search name I should conduct the search in facebook.

0 Kudos
dshulman
New Contributor

Dear Emily

I didn't relate to your questions.

My wife is not taking steroids .She is taking HRT which a hormone Replacement Therapy for menopause and is taking thyroid hormone replacements for underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism).

I forgot to add that her strange behavior is also accompanied with arrogance, giving me the silent treatment and forgetfulness in the shape of not doing certain things or signs of apathy.

It is like she is trying to morph into a new identity.

These are are the medications and the symptoms of her behavior.

0 Kudos
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Hi David,  you could just search something like 'cancer support groups' in google and take it from there.  My husband and I are members of a couple of cancer support groups on facebook, so the 'caring for husbands with cancer' support group appeared on my newsfeed.  I just googled 'cancer support groups for spouses' and a few promising sounding pages came up.  Good luck!

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.