COPING WITH STEP CHILDREN

Jo2016
Occasional Visitor

COPING WITH STEP CHILDREN

Spoiler
My husband was diagnosed with Stage 4 Small Cell Lung Cancer. He told me that he did not want his family to know I disregarded his request and subsequently his oldest daughter came over to visit. Which went well for the both of them but not for me. The daughter caused me to leave my home and my dying husband. I am now back with him but his daughter is coming back due to a relationship ending. Whilst we were separated his daughter threatened to stab me. I know it was in anger but I am still concerned that the animosity she has for me will cause undue stress on my husband and that is the last thing I want. 
In the 10 years I have been with him there have several episodes of Domestic Violence in which he has gone to jail everytime I have taken him back. I do love him very much and I really want to be able to be a good to him now. Can someone please suggest ways I could make a supportive environment whilst his daughter is staying with us.
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Margaret_CCNSW
Contributor

Re: COPING WITH STEP CHILDREN

Dear Jo2016,

Thank you for sharing your personal story with the Online Community. It sounds like you are facing a very difficult situation.

In response to your request for suggestions for making a supportive environment for your husband and his daughter, you may find the following links helpful:

• Cancer Council offers a range of resources to help you navigate cancer as a carer, family member or friend. www.cancercouncil.com.au/cancer-information/for-family-and-friends

• You can also call the Cancer Council 13 11 20 Information and Support line which is open today, Thursday and Friday 9am-3pm

• For information and support around family relationships, please contact Family Relationship Advice Line on 1800 050 321 or (07) 3423 6878 Australia-wide (Mon to Fri 8am-8pm; Sat 10am-4pm) or visit http://www.familyrelationships.gov.au/

• For issues surrounding domestic and family violence, please contact 

Sexual Assault & Domestic Violence Hotline (1800 RESPECT / 1800 737 732)
National Domestic Violence Hotline (1800 200 526)
both are Australia-wide (24 hours, 7 days a week).

Kind regards,
Margaret,
Online Community team.

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.