Chemo query

SuzieL
New Contributor

Chemo query

Hi,

My dad has been diagnosed with Non Hodgkins lymphoma and starts chemo soon.

Is someone allowed to be with him whilst he is having the treatment at the clinic/hospital?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chemo query

You would need to check the individual hospital policy, some let you in for appts but not infusion room @SuzieL  some do give exceptions, others do not.

SuzieL
New Contributor

Thank you

0 Kudos
Carrithom
New Contributor

My husband recently commenced Chemo for same cancer and yes patients can have a visitor (carer, family member) attend. You can ask your hospital as it may differ but he will need support (share the experience) and also someone to take him home. My experience is that the patient can become overwhelmed with all the information and needs to be told periodically what was discussed during the treatment or Dr visits. Can I ask what part of Australia you reside in?
I hope your Dad goes well with the treatment. My husband in his late 70s has completed 2 treatments (3 week intervals) of six cycles plus two additional treatments at the end. My husband has done quite well so far. He has lost his hair and I can see there is a process of changes within the three weeks. for example pretty good after treatment but gets tired at end of first week and can be cranky or short and sometimes difficulty in processing information and sleeps more (naps); sleep increased (2-3 hour naps) in second week (and lost hair) and third week eating better and feeling better. Eating changed during first and second week - he enjoyed small snack meals and more carbs (rice and pasta) and enjoys ice cream etc that he didn't eat previously. Feeling like eating has changed as appetite decreases so I let him shop and feed himself until he feels like eating full meals again (third week) Constipation was help with medication from first week but then rectified itself until next treatment.
I hope this helps. And as I said, hopefully your Dad copes well with the treatment. The staff are wonderful and your support medical team - doctors, nurses etc will answer any questions so please ask them. Nothing is silly and its ok to repeat questions if you are unsure as there is a lot to take in. But one day at a time. Do you live with your dad?
regards
Carol
SuzieL
New Contributor

Thanks Carol.

Dad lives in Harrington, near Taree in NSW.

Unfortunately I live several hours away. He is 83 years old and his chemo started last week, he has to have treatment for 6 months, and although he is married his wife is not staying with him during treatment. I thought that may have been due to Covid19. I am disappointed that she was not with him on his first day.

We are planning on visiting him on various weekends during the next six months, as I work full time during the week.

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.