Don't know where to start

Bel
Occasional Visitor

Don't know where to start

Husband of 10 years has terminal cancer, we just keep getting bad news after the other.  12 mths ago was diagnosed after symptoms 6 months before that.  We have 2 children 9 and 6.  We have found out today chemo isn't holding it back anymore, nothing else can be done.  I am still working full time to pay the bills as hubby hasn't worked for 12 months now.  He has been well enough to be the stay at home dad however as time goes on this will change.  I really want to give up work and spend our last time together however my husband is worried about no income coming in.

We cannot get government benefits and are surviving on my husbands income protection and my wage atm.  

What channels are out there that won't put me in debt after his passing?  We are looking at super options atm, does anyone have same experience that could shed some light on a way to turn?

Feeling lost and super stressed 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
joseph_CCNSW
Cancer Council Team

Re: Don't know where to start

Hello Bel. Thank you for joining and posting here. This forum is a wonderful space and hopefully you will find care and support from others who have experienced this. A reminder that if you are In Australia you can call our 131120 team for a confidential discussion about your situation and a range of support programs that may be available for you. Kind regards ... Joseph_CCNSW
0 Kudos
LindaG
Regular Contributor

Hi Bel, so sorry about your husband’s diagnosis. Such a hard time for you and him. And your precious little ones too. Hope you have family and friends to support you all. The only advice I can give you about finances is to consult a financial planner. I know my friend did that when her husband was dying and they got great advice. I think the salvo’s might have one and also Centrelink  that is free. Send ing  you love and prayers 🙏😘. LindaG

Mischy
Frequent Visitor

Hi there.  I've been on this journey with my hubby for the last 12 months. I am working full time as he is no longer working . He was able to access his super as a lump sum payout.  The hospital guided him to do this.  This was a lifesaver for us.  Maybe you could do the same?

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.