Father’s stage lV throat cancer.

lele
Occasional Contributor

Father’s stage lV throat cancer.

In January my stepdad was diagnosed with throat cancer, and recently we’ve found out it’s in stage lV. It has moved to his jaw bone (the 4mm growth). I don’t know all the details — he has been going to his appointments alone, and then relays the information to my mother who then tells me. But recently he was supposed to go in for a biopsy, but they can’t do it without first removing (all?) his teeth, his (entire?) tongue,  and his (entire?) jaw bone. I put my questions because I don’t know if this is the whole truth or if it’s being exaggerated, and only some parts of these things need to be removed. Anyway, I don’t think he’s going to have these things done. I said he should see a few more ENTs and get some second and third opinions, quickly. My mother claims all their sites say they do the same procedures for stage lV. They want to see a holistic doctor instead. How reliable is a holistic approach at this point? 

Honestly I’m terrified and their not taking action makes me even more terrified. Does anyone here have any experience with stage lV throat cancer, are these the procedures that always must be done? Are there other options? Will holistic work?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
lele
Occasional Contributor

Re: Father’s stage lV throat cancer.

Just realized I posted this twice when I tried editing it. Not sure how to delete.
0 Kudos
Katekat
Valued Contributor

@lele wrote:
Just realized I posted this twice when I tried editing it. Not sure how to delete.

I've just removed the extra thread for you @lele Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
lele
Occasional Contributor

Thank you!! 

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.