Feeling hopeless

Mystik73
Occasional Contributor

Feeling hopeless

In 2011 i lost my Uncle to Squamous Tounge and neck cancer at the same time my grandmother (Uncles mum) was diagnosed with non hodgkin lymphoma, and she after treatment went into remission. My grandmother was a beautiful person who asked for nothing and gave everyone everything , as she was getting older she declined in her health in which we thought was just due to being elderly , and was admitted to hospital in November 2012, within a short few weeks things went bad really fast , we didnt expect what was coming , early December she went into a coma and passed away shortly afterwards , i stayed with her day and night during this time and refused to leave her side, it broke my heart and couldnt believe she was gone . Doctors gave the conclussion that they were sure it was cancer which caused her passing. While still mourning 2 weeks later my mum was diagnosed with non invasive breast cancer , how much more can our family endure during these times of grief and sadness, Mum then had to have two operations to remove the cancerous cells and radiation treatment, which she handled well. She was given a clean bill of health. Today while at my mums , her friend who was there also dropped the bombshell that my mum had confided in her that she has found another lump, and has known about it for a couple months but has yet to go to the doctors to be tested etc, but does have a doctor appointment in a months time. I dont think she should wait so long and wont her to go as soon as she can but she insists its nothing to worry about . Yep shes stubborn or in denial . I dont know what to do as im scared for her , do i push the issue or let her go in her own time , i dont want it to be too late if you can understand what i mean by that . Im so lost confused and hurt by this , im angry that it may be happening all over again and angry that she never told me. I dont want to loose my mum , im scared of the outcome of what may come .
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
susieq1962
Occasional Contributor

Re: Feeling hopeless

How did your mum go with the new lump? I can understand why she didnt tell you in a way she is protecting you from worrying as she obviously knows how much you will be effected by this. We have the same situation but in reverse, my husband has liver cancer and hasnt told his mother the whole truth because she lost her husband 12 months ago and just a few days ago lost her best friend both of them to cancer and because she is in NSW and us in Vic it is hard, but should my husband not respond to the latest treatment we will be telling her the whole truth.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.