Financial Help

cancersux
Not applicable

Financial Help

Hi. My father has Cholangiolocarcinoma, which is a very rare form of liver cancer. The cancer has now spread and he now also has bone cancer. My Dad was first diagnosed in November, 2010. My mother died two months ago unexpectantly in her sleep and my father now has to try and deal with her death as well as try and fight this wretched disease. Complicating matters further, I know that my dad is seriously stressed by the mounting bills that keep coming in from his chemo and radiotherapy. My father does not qualify for government assistant as he owns his own small business, which he and my mother use to run. However, being almost unable to walk due to his feet swelling and his ankles sometimes being the same size as his thighs, as well as almost dibilitating pain in his lower back he isn't able to do much. He is in the process of trying to sell his business and hopefully then he will be able to get the rest he deserves. Until then he has to continue trying to drag himself to work everyday - earning very little, yet not qualifying for a disability pension. I am wondering if there is any kind of financial assistance available out there (other than government assistance) or if anyone was interested in helping to fund my fathers medical costs and using his case to further study this form of cancer that at this point few seem to know very much about. My father is a very proud man and would be to proud to admit that he is struggling financially, however after my mothers death (we are still awaiting an autopsy report and therefore cannot access her super or any other funds) my father is struggling to cope with the mounting bills. Any form of financial assistance or advise as to where we could get such help would be very graciously and humbly accepted. Thank you so much
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
SILLY
Super Contributor

Re: Financial Help

Can't give any helpful advice but my thoughts are with you .
0 Kudos
harker
Frequent Contributor

Maybe get in touch with the super fund, or his super fund. There are things they can do that can help. Also, does he have any private cover? If so, call them and ask them to manage the paperwork. I did that and it worked a treat. Maybe a social worker with a NGO such as Brotherhood or Anglicare can help negotiate the paperwork and also refer him for financial assitance. I appreciate he is likely to be a proud man, but there are people who are experienced in working around things. H
0 Kudos
mogo
Not applicable

Contact the Cancer Council (in NSW) as they have a financial planning referral service and may be able to find someone to assist your father.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.