Found out last week

supportivedaugh
New Contributor

Found out last week

i found out last week that my mum has melanoma. She went for testing on monday to see how far it has spread and yesterday they removed what they have found so far. its been really hard at school, dealing with the diagnosis as my mum is my best friend. i dont have many friends at school and the ones i told yesterday seem to have forgotten already. My teachers are very supportive but it is the HSC so theres so much work to do. plus im taking care of my mum and the house as her husband works all the time and cooks for us. its so hard to see mum in so much pain but ive let her know that whenever she needs me im here and we spend alot of time together. so i guess im just looking for ways to cope with school, the house and my mum all at the same time without exploding. the thought of losing her kills me but its looking ok so far- nothing too advanced. the school councellor knows but hasnt responded to my email asking if i can see her soon. i have to stay strong for mum (she also asked me to) but i feel like im crumbling
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
tatsoi
Contributor

Re: Found out last week

So sorry to hear about your mum. It's a scary to find out that someone you love has a life threatening illness! It's great you are seeking support for yourself - I think counselling can really help it tough times. I found the cancer helpline really helpful when my dad was diagnosed with cancer, and while I was waiting for a counselling appointment. I'm glad to hear your mum is doing well. She is lucky to have a child that loves her and cares so much. Be good to yourself. xx
0 Kudos
krystle87
Occasional Contributor

Hi, I too am a supportive daughter. It is the hardest thing in the world. I can't imagine anything harder than watching your Mum go through this. Like you, my Mum is my best friend and is currently fighting for her life, so I know from personal experience, that there is nothing harder than this. I am happy to hear that so far your Mum's cancer isn't too advanced, that's great. 🙂 My Mum is referring me to Bloomhill. I do not know whether you have them near you, but they offer all kinds of services to carers, such as counseling (which I desperately need!). All the best, I hope that she recovers well.
0 Kudos
tashie68
Not applicable

I'm so sorry, that you are going through this, it really does just suck... my mum is also sick she has been sick on and off since I was 7. I am now 24 I help my Dad care for my mum and have always had to help take care of my younger sister. sometimes it is so overwhelming with balancing uni, work, caring for mum, looking after my sister. It becomes a real juggling act. seems you are going through something similar with all you have going on.... my mum and I are very close also, so I understand how scary it is to be faced with that persons mortality, the idea of loosing them is unbearable. it sounds like your hopeful that your mum might have success with treatment, I really hope it all goes well. Unfortunately my mum is terminal it has been a total roller coaster dealing with the fact that she will leave us. But the one thing I have decided is that I won't grieve for her until she leaves, until then I spend as much time with her as i can just talking, or when she feels okay doing nice things together. I won't lie it hurts every day and I'm not sure its something that will ever feel better but i take comfort in the fact we were blessed with time to say our goodbyes, because no matter when she leaves us she will not leave this world thing she wasn't loved...... if you are not having much luck with your school counsellor, i would recommend calling the Kids help line, they speak with young people up to the age of 25 so just a thought if you want some one to talk to please remember to make sure you are looked after first before you try and look after everyone else.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.