Fundraiser - the Purple Mo.

Scarbs73
New Contributor

I have recently had an unwanted awareness of pancreatic cancer. My wife's father was recently diagnosed after he was asked to have an anomoly on an x-ray for an unrelated condition examined. Why is it that the research into the 4th greatest casue of cancer deaths has been neglected for so long? It seems that for over 50 years, the mortality rate has remained unchanged. Why is it that there are early diagnosis testing fro brest, bowel and prostate canger, but not for pancreatic cancer. I had a chat to the people at the Garvan, which supports one of the very small number of research institutions dedicated to pancreatic cancer research. I get the impression that they struggle for funding over the other types of cancer that provide more "good news" stories about diagnosis and cures. Well, that's not good enough! I've started a fundraising campaign locally where peope can make donations to the Garvan directly in return for seeing me vandalise my face with a purple moustache for the month of November. I've approached over 350 business and personal contacts for support and am seeking some media coverage to further spread the word. I want to raise around $40,000 for the month of November for Pancreatic Cancer research. Please encourage your friends, relatives, colleagues, etc to donate directly to the Garvan for pancreatic cancer research. Money that goes to other bodies is divided up and allocated where a board or handfull of directros see fit.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
margro
Frequent Contributor

Hi Scarbs, great idea.any extra support we can get is great.I was diagnosed 3 yrs ago with stge 3 pc.I'm one of the lucky ones.Please let me know what i can do to help.....growing a mo is probably possible BUT definitely out of the question!!!!! Margro
0 Kudos
Scarbs73
New Contributor

Thanks all for the kind messages of support. M-Day is nearing and apparently someone is desperate to decide the shape of my Purple Mo'. Recently, a single donation of $1,000 was made to the Garvan! I will keep you all posted. Also, for those interested in doing a little legwork (emphasis on little) I have an email that I composed to my family, friends and business contacts that raises some awareness and requests some assistance (monetary, further awarenss and/or political pressure). If anyone is interested in circulating this to you address book contacts, let me know and I can make arrangements to get a copy to you.
0 Kudos
admin_one
Contributor

Great to hear Scarbs73Good luck and look forward to seeing your profiel picture with your purple Mo.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.