GBM

rarsie
Contributor

GBM

Hi To all the GBM Carers or victims, got a question; what does it mean when someone looses the use of thier left arm for about 8 minutes then regains it and goes on their merry way Hope you all can help me rarsie
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Not applicable

Re: GBM

Hi to all I am new to this certain website but a huge hello and smiles. I can help with your question rarsie sorry hasnt happened to me as yet poss
0 Kudos
peanutz
Frequent Contributor

Is it seizure or effect from high does of Dex? My partner never has this though. The closest thing he had was carpel tunnel syndrome like on his right arm while he was on 16mg Dex which had slowly disappeared once the doctor decreased his dose.
0 Kudos
netty
Occasional Contributor

Sorry can't help you either with that question, my hubby gets alot of tingling in his limbs but no transient loss of function as yet. My main issues are that he is very indifferent towards the kids and I and lots of mood swings...its very wearing rolling with the punches, especially when often he doesn't realise to much later or even the next day what he has been like..seems to remember sometimes and apologises. We start chemo and radiation on these new frontal lobe tumours tomorrow, not looking forward to that especially for him...he doesn't seem well enough yet from the surgery. Huge appetite despite not being on dex which is a good thing so he has reserves if he gets sick again with chemo as he lost alot of weight last time. Thinking of all the others I have read their stories about..stay strong.
0 Kudos
rarsie
Contributor

Thanks to you all, Peanutz you could be right about the seizure but cant be the dex as he hasnt been on it since April Sandra
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Ummm what hasnt happened?
0 Kudos
rarsie
Contributor

Hi Netty, hw things going in cancer land, how is your family and your hubby I have read a lot of people get a personality change when the tumor is in the frontal lobe, thankfully my sons is in the Right parietal dont know how I would go with a personality change, must be very hard on you all, hows the chemo and radium going. At the moment there is no change with Kep(my son )we go to toowoomba early next week for chemo then to Brisbane on the 3rd august to have his MRI scary I hate waiting for those results Sandra
0 Kudos
Nic41
Occasional Contributor

Hi Sandra My partner has had this, but right hand side.(left side of the brain is where the tumours grew) after the first tumour was removed it happened every now and then. it got worse again when the second tumour was growing. his right hand would stop working then just decide to work again. we spoke to different people about it and the best we came up with was it was the brain retraining and finding a dead or missing pathway. the brain would then try a different pathway and it would work again. hope this helps, Nic
0 Kudos
rarsie
Contributor

Hi Nic, Thanks for that, hows hubby doing now and what part of Aussie do you live Sandra
0 Kudos
Nic41
Occasional Contributor

sorry for the wait for the reply, i've been catching up on some home maintence, oiling the deck :D. GBM wise hubby is fine, he was on long term dexamethasone, which in a way caused a fall (because it takes away the thigh muscles) and he had just had his first chemo does after the second tumour was removed; low imunity caused a small scratch he got when he fell to go septic. a month in hospital and home again he is still very week and needs me to be around 24/7. the ups and downs of this you just have to take each day as it comes. we are out near Kingaroy about 2 hrs northwest of bisbane. How is your son doing? Nic
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.