Hello everyone! I am new

ejb
Occasional Contributor

Hello everyone! I am new

Hello, I am a newbie to this forum. I am so glad to have found everyone here. I hope I can be as much help to others as you might be for me. Two months ago my dad was diagnosed with esophageus cancer which has spread to his liver and stomach and possibly bowel. He has always been extremely fit and healthy as he spent most of his life training personal trainers! Shock was beyond what I felt for him. Long story shortened - He went to the doctor for bloating and they found his liver had increased in size by 7cm and then they found the primary esophageus caner and then all the secondaries. My dad had an appointment with his oncologist last Tuesday to see how his two months of high dose chemotherapy was going. They had done scans and bloods and we were thinking positive! We were horribly shocked that his team of doctors weren’t so positive.. They said that the liver is struggling so badly that he only has a couple of weeks left... His chemotherapy treatment had no affect on his type of cancer and it continued to grow throughout treatment. I feel like everything is going to change and I can’t imagine my life without my Dad, especially for my mum and my younger brother. I am usually so strong, but, I feel like a bit of a burden on my friends and partner with my depressed state at the moment. People tell me to leave nothing unsaid. I don’t know what to say. I tell him I love him every day. I am in shock and feel devastated.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
quocherro
New Contributor

Re: Hello everyone! I am new

Sorry I posted in the wrong place, still finding my way. Kindest Regards Quocherro
0 Kudos
deniseford
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ejb I am so sorry that this is happening to you and your family....cancer just sucks!!! My husband has also just recently been told he is terminal with Kidney Cancer, so I know just how you are feeling, the emotions at times are just so overwhelming. We were devastated, the sadness was unbearable and no sleep compounded it all. We are slowly starting to deal with it all and what it will mean to our family....the biggest thing is to not be afraid to talk about it. We have a big family dinner once a week, and talk about how we are all feeling and what we can do to help each other. You are not a burden on your family or friends.....that is what your good friends are there for....the good and the bad. Keep telling your Dad that you love him and that you will be there for him....but I would be sure that he already knows that. Lots of Hugs Denise
0 Kudos
Virginia.F
New Contributor

Hi Ejb, The roller coaster of emotions you are going through right now is natural. Please know that you are never a burden to your family or friends. In a time like this people want to share your pain and help in whatever way possible. I went through the death of my dad when I was young and was so caught up in my own grief that I forgot how my mum was feeling. She was putting on a brave face because of the children but was aching inside. Spend as much time as you can with your dad and keep telling him you love him with lots of hugs and kisses. He needs your support now. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Virginia x
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.