Hey... I'm Mel, 22 years old with a father that has been diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma

Not applicable

Hey... I'm Mel, 22 years old with a father that has been diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma

Hey, Like I said at the begining, my father has recently been diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma. I have no idea how to cope with this and my mother isnt dealing with the news very well either. I was just looking for some support as I am young, my friends have never had to be in this situation before so don't know how to react to me when i get upset and cant control my emotions... Any coping suggestions will be very helpful. Thanks... xx
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Jules2
Super Contributor

Re: Hey... I'm Mel, 22 years old with a father that has been ...

Hi Mel I am sorry to hear of your fathers diagnosis. It is a difficult time for everyone when someone is diagnosed with cancer. I think everyone finds their own way with what works for them and what doesn't and I know a lot of people find this site a wonderful tool. It is difficult for friends as they don't understand and they get frightened and of course that makes it difficult for the people who are going through the ordeal. Julie xo
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Thankyou very much Julie for your kind words, means alot to me to be able to get some extra support from here. - Mel xo
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Mel There are quite a few younger people on here. I know it was hard on my son when I was diagnosed so if you ever need to chat, feel free to contact me. :) Julie
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.