Hi I'm new here

Sandy_B
Occasional Contributor

Hi I'm new here

Greetings, I'm new to cancer connect. I'm a carer and feel I now need to connect with people who are having similar experiences to me. My husband has Oesopgageal cancer. It's coming up to 1 year since diagnosis.
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
KathyS
Occasional Contributor

Re: Hi I'm new here

Hi Sandy, Let me welcome you to this site. Sorry to see the reason you have joined. How are things going? Best wishes Kathy
0 Kudos
Sandy_B
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kathy Thanks for the reply. Just wanted to say thank you for being on here to support others. It's coming up to a year since my husbands diagnosis. I'm finding being strong for everyone is starting to wear me down. Im currently on holidays from work and an finding not having work as a distraction stressful. I can't say these things out loud to family and friends without feeling selfish. Thanks for listening 🙂
0 Kudos
KathyS
Occasional Contributor

Hi Sandy, being strong for everyone can only be maintained for a period, without something giving. It important for you to have some "me" time. Sorry to be so personal but what level of care does hubby require at the moment. Is he mobile? Can he shower and dress? I understand that your work would keep your brain occupied in a different direction for those hours and that is good. How long are you on holidays for? Kathy
0 Kudos
Sandy_B
Occasional Contributor

At the moment his level of care fluctuates. He generally is mobile. We have been told that his cancer is terminal but treatable. He has had 6 rounds chemo and 2 weeks of radio therapy. Al he tolerated well. They have inserted a stent which has taken it out of him. Has lost a lot of weight and muscle tone. So tires easily. Has had a lot of stomach pain which he is linking to hunger and has started having a lot more small meals which are staying down finally.
0 Kudos
KathyS
Occasional Contributor

Hi Sandy, It's good the hear the smaller portions are working. Have you tried protein shakes? Some taste surprisingly good. I used to leave chocolate bars on hubby's table and they would be eaten throughout the day. I offered anything high calorie I could think off to slow down the weight loss. It was hard when he had no appetite and nagging does no good. All I could do was offer the foods, custards and ice cream were a big winner for a while. Is his pain being managed well? It is good to read hubby is mobile, that is a big help. If there any questions I can help with please ask Sending you hugs, Kathy x
0 Kudos
Sandy_B
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your input Kathy. I really appreciate it. Poor guy had stomach pains all day yesterday but didn't throw up which is good. I think the pantoprazole med's work well if he takes them at exactly the same time everyday.
0 Kudos
KathyS
Occasional Contributor

Hi Sandy,, glad the meds appear to be working. Just an observation, when i go to log in to communicate with you you appear to be online, but when I login you are offline. Must be a system error I think. KathyS
0 Kudos
Sandy_B
Occasional Contributor

I wonder if it's because I never log out. I've had trouble logging in ay first.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.