How do you stop thinking, reading, leanring askiing about cancer and live life?

Not applicable

How do you stop thinking, reading, leanring askiing about cancer and live life?

My boyfriend Mike was just diagnosed with TCC. He has really been six for about six months and seems to be declining pretty quickly. I still go to work and talk to people but it seems like all I think about, obsess about, is CANCER. We are either talking, reading stuff on the internet, filing out paperwork or preparing for appointments. It is my first thought in the morning and my last before sleep. HElp!
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Sailor
Deceased

Re: How do you stop thinking, reading, leanring askiing ...

Hi Glendalee Not surprising - it is the most important thing in your life just now, so of course it is pretty much all that you think about. So unless you feel it is becoming obsessive don't worry. cheers Sailor A collision at sea can ruin your entire day. Attrib Thucydides, 5th Century BC
0 Kudos
Not applicable

I almost feel it is obsessive but I understand what you are saying. Maybe we will be better when we get a prognosis and treatment plan. Too much is up in the air right now. Thanks for replying. Glenda
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi, This is what we call the rollercoaster ride, Dont overload yourself with to much info as most things you do read are trials etc, when i was first DX with Brain cancer thats all I did and nearly turned me into a lunatic, things will generally settle down as time goes on and try and do the things that make you happy( easier said than done) but i assure you it will even it self out eventually!!!! Im 18 months into my cancer, had 4 major ops, 7 stays in pulic hospital for pain and countless MRIs but now only starting to get back to some sort of normal behavior and do try to go on a quiet holiday, My family and I went to Lord Howe Island a few months ago and that really turned me around, so quiet and kept busy riding, snorkelling,walking and just plain relaxing. All the best Warrior Woman
0 Kudos
Not applicable

First my best wishes and prayers for healing of your cancer. I am sure you are right but now it seems all concusiimng. Today will be spend filling out all the incredible forms al the agencies have sent us. Tomorrow is filled with a visit to the oncologist. I am about to leave for 8 days to see my daughter's new born but will worry so much about him while I am gone. It helps just to talk to others in our situation. Thaks for replying. Glenda
0 Kudos
Not applicable

First my best wishes and prayers for healing of your cancer. I am sure you are right but now it seems all concusiimng. Today will be spend filling out all the incredible forms al the agencies have sent us. Tomorrow is filled with a visit to the oncologist. I am about to leave for 8 days to see my daughter's new born but will worry so much about him while I am gone. It helps just to talk to others in our situation. Thaks for replying. Glenda
0 Kudos
Not applicable

0 Kudos
choc2rule
Occasional Contributor

Hi Glendalee. I think that is the crux of the situation. Everything is now up in the air. Life as you knew it is no more. That word 'cancer' just shakes and scares people so much. Getting through it and over it with as much information as you can get, seems the best way for some, it did for me. I wanted to know everything and hopefully in that everything, I would find something that would ease the pain and uncertainty of the time ahead. Read and talk and learn as much as you can-if that helps. What is happening now is the most important thing to you at this time. Knowing what the prognosis is, unfortunatelly still leaves room for uncertainty.But going through it together with the sick person, is a better way to be rather than on ones own.
0 Kudos
KatDoe
Occasional Contributor

I totally understand what your going through. I felt the same way when my father was DX back in February, and I felt I needed to know everything. I wanted to know what to expect. But I've learned that every situation is different. The human body is an amazing machine and you never know whats going to happen. Like Forrest Gump said "Life is like a box a chocolate, you never know what your going to get".
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Re: How do you stop thinking, reading, learning asking ...

I think I am finally adjusting to how I need to deal with this and what works for me. What I am having a problem with now is how hard it is to explain to friends. Why I can't commit to things in the future as I never know what kind of day we are going to have on a day to day basis. And I wish people would stop trying to fix it and jsut listen to me.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.