I don’t know how to talk about it

Letitia
New Contributor

I don’t know how to talk about it

Hi,

my my dad was just diagnosed with severe bowel cancer. It’s in his lymph nodes. 8 weeks ago he had no symptoms, no pain, nothing. Then all of a sudden 8 weeks later, he’s in the hospital at 3am because he can’t stand the pain and he’s planning his own funeral. I live 6 hours away. And the news has only just hit me, I’m not coping very well and I don’t know what to do. I also have just gotten a full time contract for a job after being unemployed for almost a year, so I can’t just up and leave. 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Budgie
Super Contributor

Re: I don’t know how to talk about it

Hi there Letitia,

I’m sorry your father is going through this disease & I’m sorry you’re not there with him.   Does he have any family or friends with him at all?

It will be difficult for you being so far away but I can suggest you speak openly & honestly with him about everything.  Talk with him as often as you feel the need, but also it wouldn’t hurt you to have some counseling as well.   There's a Carer's telephone support group run at Cancer Council, that runs twice a month and is free of charge.  You can find out more if you ring 1300 755 632. I’m sure they could offer you some support & advice.   

I wish you all the best with everything. 

Budgie

Letitia
New Contributor

Re: I don’t know how to talk about it

Thank you so much for your reply. He has my mum and one of my sisters. He isn’t a very open person, neither am I. (I guess that where I get it from). I am going to seek counselling when I can. 

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.