Just found out last week my wife has cervical cancer

MiniDriver
Occasional Contributor

Re: Just found out last week my wife has cervical cancer

Hello Jann I am very pleased that you could relate to my post. It makes it so worthwhile to risk and put your feelings out there. I have been repaid so many times. In response to your question some days are better than others. Yesterday we ended up in casualty as my Wife could not stop throwing up after chemo and was becoming dehydrated. Things are fine now, well fine as they should be moving toward the wellness state. Some days I just want to put everything down and have a rest and I DO FEEL ANGRY. My outlet is playing music, I play the electric bass and cello. I find playing music very relaxing and is good selfish ME TIME . I am going to start playing gigs again and putting back into myself so I can keep putting out. It sounds simple but I didn’t realise how drained I was. Do you have something selfish that you can do for yourself? And just for yourself? It could help you with your anger. It has certainly helped me. Take care of yourself Regards Iain
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hiya Iain Just read your reply. My son has had problems with depression and anxiety over the past 5 years. In the past year or so he has taught himself how to play guitar and now writes music (all by ear, as he cannot read music yet). He has found music such an incredible benefit to him and i was really glad to read you have found something for "you". :) take care Julie
0 Kudos
Not applicable

haha Iain funny you should say that, my partner was a keen rugby player and now wont be playing next season and ever since Ive known him he has wanted to learn the guitar so guess what he is getting for xmas this year!!!!!! Still trying to figure out what my outlet will be, struggling a bit at moment.I had been looking forward to xmas with my family interstate, the first one in five years but on friday we had the first oncology appointment since his surgery and they are starting chemo this week so those plans have now been put on hold. Anyway thanks for being an ear for me, I'm 24 and although no one at any age wants to talk about cancer I find a lot of my friends just blow me off when I really feel like talking which makes it worse, not sure how others deal with this reaction?? Thanks again Jann
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hiya Jann Not many friends can "deal" is what i have found when it comes to talking to them about cancer. Of course some are just very selfish and others just dont understand. It is important to have someone that you can talk frankly with and i think if i didnt have some people in my life that i could talk that way with, then i would seek out some professional counselling. bfn :) Julie
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.