Mum with mouth cancer

virtu206
New Contributor

Mum with mouth cancer

Hello all My mum was very recently diagnosed with mouth cancer. We have had one meeting with her surgeon who is juggling appointments to have her admitted and operated on ASAP. It's so hard to see the rock of the family crumbling before our eyes. Hoping and praying that the cancer hasn't spread, but won't know until she goes into surgery. Playing the horrible waiting game. Trying to keep her busy and her mind occupied. Heartbroken 😞
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
marshie
Occasional Contributor

Re: Mum with mouth cancer

Hello welcome to the group its very hard seeing your mum go through this but you have to be strong for her, My husband had mouth cancer 5 years ago its a hard road but if she is a rock like you say she is she can do it my husband is still here and there are plenty more on the Head and Neck cancer site so stay strong. Big hugs marshie
0 Kudos
S.Murphy
New Contributor

Hi there Goodness. Firstly let me say how sorry i am for your moms diagnosis. My mom was diagnosed on Thursday with breast cancer. Now we are doing the waiting to see if its spread. Its horrific..going from crying to shock numb feeling... i commend you for sharing your story i don't think you can support your mom without the support structure yourself. especially when your just getting over the shock and horror yourself. I am hoping that your mom and your family will get positive news and feel free to contact me at anytime. lots of kind thoughts suzi
0 Kudos
Pamela
Contributor

I'm so sorry to hear your Mum has mouth cancer and pray for the best treatment and excellent results - with strength and heart-peace throughout for her and all her loved ones. I had a squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) - a non-healing ulcer inside my left cheek, just near the corner of my mouth. To ensure a safe margin, it was removed full-depth, along with the inner cheek sliced away to remove an area of pre-cancerous leukoplakia. A graft from my wrist and a tendon from my forearm repaired the area. A graft from my thigh repaired my wrist. I also had a left neck dissection to remove lymph nodes - cancer in the first node only. Then 30 sessions of radiotherapy as a precaution. I have been clear for the subsequent 2 1/2 years. I continue to have regular check-ups with my surgical team and radiotherapy team. Frightening and hard as it is, there is life after cancer, though we must get used to our 'new normal' because life is not the same as it was. Warm (((hugs))), Pamela
0 Kudos
virtu206
New Contributor

Hi all, Mum had her surgery yesterday. Unfortunately there were complications which resulted in more of her tongue having to be taken and a deeper removal of lymph nodes was necessary. This resulted in damaging of the Chyle Muscle and mum has no been put on the Chyle diet (very low fat diet). Just wondering if anyone else has had experience with this diet that could possible shed some light (and share some recipes)? Poor mum is in so much pain and now we play another waiting game of waiting for pathology results 😞
0 Kudos
Pamela
Contributor

I am very glad your Mum got through surgery but so sorry about the complications and subsequent pain. I do hope she is given adequate pain meds and if not, do keep asking. I did have a lot for the first week while in hospital and was able to reduce them before leaving at 11 days. I used Xylocaine Viscous after radiotherapy to numb my mouth, not only to allow for relatively comfortable eating but also for general relief at any time. After swirling/holding in the mouth for a short while, it can then be safely swallowed, numbing the throat on the way down as well. Please ask her docs for any options. Unless you point out strongly the need for relief, it can be easily overlooked. Prayers for good blessings as needed, (((hugs))) to you and your Mum, Pamela.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.