My mum has breast cancer

Starlight
New Contributor

My mum has breast cancer

My mum was diagnosed with breast cancer grade 1 just over two weeks ago, it was a big shock and very upsetting and even though procedures were put into place quickly I was so worried. She’s had the operation now (3 days ago) and I know the op should have gotten it all out as they caught it very quickly but she might have to have radiotherapy to make sure it’s all gone, but I’m struggling with coping I just feel like crying all the time and I feel so guilty because I know there are people with it much worse and we were lucky they caught it early, I just don’t really know how to deal with my emotions at the moment and although everyone’s been very supportive it’s hard to describe how I feel to someone who hasn’t been through it because they don’t fully understand. It just so hard to see her during this recovery, to see someone so strong seem so helpless, I just want to do everything for her because she’s done everything and more for me. 

2 REPLIES 2
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: My mum has breast cancer

Hi @Starlight,

How are you doing today? And how is your Mum doing with her recovery?

I notice that you're in the UK, so you might like to check out the Breast Cancer Care forum. We work closely with the team there on occasion.

The following resources, whilst Australian-produced, are still relevant for you and I think they will help you immensely:

I've included the one about massage and cancer, as it's something she may find helps as she recovers. Over here, we have therapists who are specially trained in treating people who have had or are living with cancer - so I would assume they are in the UK also. It's a great complementary therapy for women with breast cancer.

Please let us know how you are both getting on Heart

0 Kudos
Starlight
New Contributor

Re: My mum has breast cancer

Thankyou so much for replying ❤️ 

My mums recovery is going really well thankyou, she hasn’t had a lot of pain which is good, she’s just finding it difficult to sit down and relax as she’s normally quiet an active person! I’m feeling better today, more positive and it helps that mum is very positive too. It’s just tiring going to work during the day and then coming home to help with mum jobs, mums are so underrated it’s amazing how much they do in a day! Thankyou for the links I will definitely be looking at them and thankyou again for replying it’s good to know there are other people out there who understand ❤️

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.