My mum has colon cancer and secondary liver cancer

gail
New Contributor

hi my mum who is 76 has just been diagnosed with colon cancer and secondary liver cancer  i have no idea of what lies ahead maybe  there might be someone who has had a similar diagnosis  i feel quite scrambled
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
mikey
Contributor

Hi gail, that's not good to hear. How long ago did your Mum get diagnosed?There are a few regular users here who have experience with Colon Cancer. Either firsthand or as carers. Most of the discussion for this you will find in the Bowel Cancer forums. I recommend you get in touch with Oldman (Kevin). He's a very helpful man
0 Kudos
howells
New Contributor

Hi Mikey, My partner has metastic melanoma. I am having trouble understanding it, reading about it is very overwhelming I feel very scared of how I will cope as this progresses. I am very stressed on how to pay mortgage, bills etc.....  Howells
0 Kudos
mikey
Contributor

Hi howells, just sent you a message privately. If you're having difficuilty following the literature on metastatic melanomas I can really recommend giving the Cancer Council Helpline a ring. If you have any specific questions feel free to post them up here and I'm sure someone will be able to help you
0 Kudos
lsmith
Occasional Contributor

Hi - my diagnosis was a metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of unknown primary.  It decided to take up residence in the right inguinal gland.  I had surgery to remove the tumour, then a hysterectomy [trying to locate the primary] and almost 6 weeks radiotherapy.  Originally I was told that the outlook was not good and I probably would be lucky to make it to 5 years. I celebrate my 9th anniversary in July, and have had no further problems.  Take care Lyn   
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Lyn - my diagnosis was also a metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of unknown primary, although it is assumed the primary was in the lung and has now gone.  A secondary decided to take up residence in the trachea, wrapped around the vocal chords.  Surgery was not possible, so I had 6 weeks radiotherapy and 12 of chemo.  Originally I was told that the outlook was not good as the tumour was very aggressive. I finished teatment at end 2007 and scans show the tumour has been dramatically reduced - one oncologist said it had been killed but others do not go that far. I am now scared the tumour will come back very quickly (as it went very quickly), but there are no follow-ups scheduled for 6 months.  I am having trouble getting a positive attitude while all this is in my head.  I really want to get back to normal but find I'm very tired.Have others had similar experience?  How do I stop worrying about "how long I've got" so I can get on with life?  How do I know if it has gone altogether and what are the odds of that happening?Mark
0 Kudos
lsmith
Occasional Contributor

Hello Mark I  empathise with you regarding the uncertainty you face.  I can only share how I have coped Mark and hope that it brings you some comfort and hope. After a cancer diagnosis of any kind, we must accept that our lives are never going to be the old "normal" again.  We begin a new chapter in our life and create a new normal.   We must trust and believe in our medical team.  Having check ups in 6 months would indicate to me that the team are happy enough to see you again in 6 months, otherwise it would be sooner. Try not to let this disease define who you are Mark.  Go out there and live your life.  Set small achieveable goals, focus on staying well, dare to dream.  Martin Luther King Jnr. said "I have a dream" - we can share a dream too Mark, to beat this monster. Stay strong - Go Forward. Lyn
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.