My mum - no longer curable =(

nazmoo
Not applicable

My mum - no longer curable =(

Mum (64 yo now) was diagnosed with bowel cancer in Aug 2009. After 2 rounds of chemo, 1 round of radiotherapy and 3 surgeries (including a permanent iliostomy bag), she was declared cancer free in Aug 2010. It was a very hard year, as my once "young" mum aged so much and has continued ever since. I just about had a breakdown as I took on most of the emotional support and was the one to take her to all treatment sessions and doctors' appointments (at the expense of my job - not that I cared coz she's my mum). Then since the start of Sep, she just hasn't been right. Very low in energy (to the point where walking from the kitchen to the living room left her out breath and heart racing). So forget about even leaving the house. Lots of issues with her kidneys but they couldn't find any actual kidney stones, just some kind of obstructions. After multiple hospitalisations and trips to the emergency department, we finally found out almost 5 weeks ago that her cancer is back. They are the same kind of cancer cells as last time, which means she's not curable. All they can do is contain and hopefully reduce the tumours, but it'll never actually go away. They are now in most of her lymph nodes, all the way down past the abdomen right up to her neck. So spread right throughout the body (but it hasn't jumped to another organ). She started chemo again 3 weeks ago. I've been going through the motions. But last night, it finally hit me. I don't know how much longer my mum has. I just don't know what I'm going to do without her. I'm 31 years old and I can't bear the thought of losing her, she is the #1 person in my life. I've been in tears on and off at work all day (thank god I have a big partition around my desk) just stressing about it. Naz =(
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
SILLY
Super Contributor

Re: My mum - no longer curable =(

I am so sorry to see this . Mothers and daughters mostly have a special relationship as I have with my daughter . All I can say is continue being there for her as you already have been . At times take a break, when you can ,so you can look after your emotional well being .
0 Kudos
Leishie
New Contributor

Hi there, I'm so sorry about your mum, my heart breaks for you.... I'm 30 and am in a similar situation, just at the start. I' m my mums main emotional support I'd do anything for her! I can't imagine my life without her or how this awful thing will continue to change her. I live day by day if I allow myself to think ahead I can't cope, day by day is the key. Again so so sorry....
0 Kudos
pmcpmc
Occasional Contributor

hi naz. sorry to read about your mum and what you are going through. i lost my dad last year and we had a pretty special relationship (he raised me on his own from 18 months) so i can understand how you're feeling. if it is any consolation at all, he was given less than 6 months to live however fought on for nearly 7 years against various different cancers. it is so difficult to be in limbo and not have a solid timeline of what is to unfold, so just take each day as it comes and enjoy the time you together here and now (not easy i know). remember to look after you and be kind to yourself through this as well. sending you lots of positive thoughts.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.