Newbie here - my mother has been diagnosed with liver cancer

Emilyk
New Contributor

Newbie here - my mother has been diagnosed with liver cancer

Hi everyone! My name is Emily and about 3 months ago my mother was diagnosed with secondary liver cancer. The primary cause came from her colon. She just completed her first round of chemo which she had reactions to. She had flu like symptoms. Very cold and shaking. I am so nervous about what will happen down the road. I had an emotional breakdown on Friday towards my boyfriend and I'm currently feeling very lost. Any tips/suggestions on how to get through this and keep going would be much appreciated. Emily x
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
porkie1967
New Contributor

Re: Newbie here - my mother has been diagnosed with liver ...

Hi Emily I hear your pain, my husband has been diagnosed with CUP (Unknown Primary cancer) metastatic liver disease in January and I too and going through my emotions. He has been in treatment since January 6th 2015 and is doing better than he was. I too am scared about what will happen down the track but what I have learnt, let your feelings out when they overwhelm you. In my belief you will know who loves and cares about you, who is there to support you and obtain all the information you can, learn about the disease, it has help me along my journey with my husband and never let one day go past without telling the person you love them, never go bed cranky as you never know if that is the last time you will speak to them. When we first found out about my husband I was very lost, scared, overwhelmed and just needed support from our family and friends. Never let a person tell you have to grieve, feel or tell you what you are doing is wrong when you are doing the best thing you can with the information you have. over time, you will know where you stand with people and then you will be stronger and just get on with daily life. What scared me the most, in a short period of time, you need to find your new "NORMAL LIFE" and try and live life to the fullest as when you love someone that has cancer, your world changes and you never regret what you did for them each day and when you lay your head down you can say to yourself " I did everything I can for my loved one today" say goodnight love you to the moon and back and life does just go on and it does get easier in some respect. I am now 2 and a half months on, I am scared everyday when I wake up he will be gone, but if that's what happens then I will never regret loving him, he has made me a better person today and I will always love him until the day I die. I hope that helps in some way. just remember your never alone
0 Kudos
marckaren2015
Not applicable

Re: Newbie here - my mother has been diagnosed with liver ...

Its an emotional rollercoaster, my elderly mum of 83 was diagnosed with primary liver cancer 12 days ago.....EmilyK family and friend support is needed, you will feel a range of feelings my dear, it is the most overwhelming feeling, I feel helpless and out of control sometimes, my husband has been my rock. Ask for help if you need it, don't be afraid too, most people are always willing to help in some small way possible. Try and do some normal everyday things, I found that has helped this past week of hell......I can so relate to your statement Porkie 1967 "What scared me the most, in a short period of time, you need to find your new "NORMAL LIFE".....never a truer sentence my dear, I guess its fear of things never being normal again...I think this forum will be really useful for us to share our journeys xx
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.