Overwhelmed

BR

Overwhelmed

I've just recently survived my own life threatening health emergency (not cancer) and am still recovering.

My Dad has just been diagnosed with cancer, my auntie has cancer, my uncle has cancer, a friend with young children and a past cancer history has just found a lump that is likely to be a return of cancer.

I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all at the moment.

This year it just seems like there has been a never-ending stream of horrible news.

I keep getting told by well meaning people that I should get counselling and that I need to seek professional help to deal with all of this, but I'm not sure what that would involve or if it would be of any use. I sometimes feel that if I just get on with things it might be better for me.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Re: Overwhelmed

Hi BR, it certainly sounds like you've got a huge amount to deal with.  My understanding is that counselling is useful if your emotions or thoughts surrounding a situation are in themselves becoming a problem  (eg worrying so much you can't live your normal life, preoccupation with the situation to the exclusion of your regular tasks, so much sadness you can't get out of bed etc.) Counsellors can help you find new, more constructive tools for dealing with things.

If you are able to function through all this then you may not need counselling, but do take any help that is offered to you (why not make your life as easy as possible!)  It may also be good to debrief with a trusted friend if you can, just to be sure that you are functioning as well as you think you are (I know from experience that stress can warp your perception, and what looks like normal functioning now may not have looked normal before.)  It's great that you've joined this forum, too.

I hope this year gets better at a rate of knots!  love Emily

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.