How to help a patient eat and drink

Tegan
Occasional Visitor

How to help a patient eat and drink

My mum is currently having Chemo treatment but she is feeling so sick and so fatigued that its getting harder to get her to eat any decent amount of food (especially when her taste has changed). 

Does anyone have any suggestions of how we can help her through this, foods to try, anything...

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
kj
Super Contributor

Re: How to help a patient eat and drink

Tegan

Try some scrambled eggs on soft toast,also blend a banana in hospital sustagen hope these suggestions help.

Budgie
Super Contributor

Hi Tegan,

Your Mum's doctor (either oncologist or GP) should be able to give her a referral to a dietitian at the Community Health Centre & they can give you lots of advice.  There are drink supplements which can take the place of meals that are easy to have & keep down, that you can get for her through the dietitian.

Budgie 

Tony69
New Contributor

Heaps of smoothies is what I use for my wife post chemo when she can’t eat, I find if you add infant formula, my wife gets her proteins, sugar and fats and it’s easy to keep down. Also let your treatment team know as her weight lost is critical in her care. There are heaps of meds that can help and also professional dietitian can give you some recipes to use during the stages post treatment. My wife loves ice cream and jelly when her mouth feels all metallic and her mount is numb.

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.