Please explain! Pancreatic cancer support loved ones excluded ....

Patch65
New Contributor

Please explain! Pancreatic cancer support loved ones excluded ....

I live in Western Australia.  As of 31 January 2022, I will not be allowed to be with my husband, or visit at any stage whilst he recovers, when he is scheduled to undertake his whipple procedure for pancreatic cancer.  A cancer that is the worst thing you've ever had to hear a person be diagonised with and I'm sure many people can relate to, and an operation that has significant risks.

In the booklets provided by the Cancer Council it states that people with cancer have the right to choose what treatments they have, if any, because they are adults and can make their own informed choices.  However, it is a different subject matter that when a healthy adult chooses not to have a medical treatment to be denied access to  their loved one in hospital, and basically that they will be subjected to medical apartheid, even though they pose no risk to anyone, whilst those who partake of the medical treatment can and do pose a significant risk - and by that I mean visitors and the medical staff.  You only have to look at the data coming out of Israel and the UK and other parts of Australia to show that what I say is the truth.

If the Cancer Council or any advocates care about people with cancer and their loved ones, tell me how to advocate for the right to be with my husband, against a system that discriminates and segregates parts of it society.  I won't hold my breathe that I'll succeed as how do you fight 'city hall'.  But I fear that I'm not alone, even though I am.

4 REPLIES 4
jothierfelder
Visitor

Re: Please explain! Pancreatic cancer support loved ones excluded ....

I just signed up for this community tonight because I'm facing the same thing and wanted some anecdotal evidence that I may be allowed to visit my husband who is about to have the first of possibly three surgeries in early March.

The Directions say exemptions may apply if:
( d) the patron is a carer and is accompanying a person for whom they are caring to a hospital or to receive medical treatment and that person cannot reasonably be accompanied by a person who is fully vaccinated or an exempt person instead;

I'm holding onto the hope that maybe i can get through on this. I'm so angry and upset. It's a cruel and inhumane policy.
Patch65
New Contributor

My step son has checked with the Joondalup hospital because he has a 3 month old and they said they would allow one parent in if there was a serious situation.  The best thing I can advise is that you contact the hospital and get clarification as to what their policy is in relation to the exemption.   As you are the main 'carer' you would need to be able to provide fresh clothes and such forth?  Also, you may need to be on hand to make or assist with any medical decisions?  It would be a good idea to request them to email you so you have a written response.

I don't understand the rationale for the Direction. I'd sure like to see medical advice or the science that was used for this decision.  World wide evidence shows that people who have had the 'treatment' can catch and spread the flu.  So they aren't any more protected than someone who hasn't had the 'treatment'. 

My husband has decided to put off the operation and is now going to undergo chemo/radiation treatment for six weeks.   I still have the issue that if my husband needs to go to emergency and/or be admitted to hospital I may also not be allowed to visit. 

Let me know how you go.

0 Kudos
Eric72
Occasional Visitor

I feel for you in that terrible situation where no one is listening nor do they understand the crippling effect and emotional  distress caused by the “real issues” and that which “isolation” brings with it. 
Persevere and rattle the cages at higher levels as I for my situation am about to do as our Private Hospital has no oncology support team for family of cancer patients.

Give us strength to fight our battles.

0 Kudos
DanniMac
New Contributor

I am so sorry to hear what you and others in this post are going through, the system is cruel and horrible in its implementation of these rules for cancer patients at the moment.

Have any of you had success in getting access to the hospital?

As per my recent post, I am in a similar predicament with my wife. She's looking at at least another 5 week stay in hospital on a feeding tube while waiting surgery or chemo, and likely many more weeks depending on how her body responds.

Her mental health is declining so quickly and she is losing hope - surely the health professionals know the importance of hope and healthy mind in recovery?

There must be something we can do to advocate for our loved ones. If one of us finds success it can be a platform for others. I've emailed heaps of people over the weekend pleading my case. If I get anywhere I will let you know.

Love and solidarity with you all - I hope your dearest recover well over the next few weeks ❤️ 

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.