Radiation

GeeGee
Occasional Contributor

Radiation

I am so nervous, my partner Darryn is starting radiation today and I am so nervous for him. He is feeling nervous as well. We have no idea what to expect. Wish us luck on getting through this first day of 10 treatments.
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
KathyS
Occasional Contributor

Re: Radiation

Hi Gee Gee, I am new to this site. Have been reading your posts and what a kind courageous woman you are. I can relate to a lot of your comments. Have you been advised of post radiation care of the skin? It is so good there are options and treatments for your Daz. I am a great believer knowledge is power. With this cruel disease so much control is taken from us I think it is important to control those things we still can. You are facing this journey together, Daz is not alone and neither are you. There are people out here thinking of you. Please let us know how the visit goes. Kind Regards Kathy
0 Kudos
GeeGee
Occasional Contributor

Thanks so much for your kind words Kathy, they are much appreciated.
0 Kudos
KathyS
Occasional Contributor

Is Daz having 10 days in a row? Kathy
0 Kudos
GeeGee
Occasional Contributor

5days in a row, then the weekend off and 5 more next week.
0 Kudos
topenddownunder
Contributor

Hi Gee Gee, I had radiation, but only in a mild dose for pain management for a secondary cancer in my hip.I had it over 5 days and found the only painful part (more uncomfortable than painful) was getting the Prep done and getting the "Tattoo`s" done. As far as any burning or dryness of the skin after the Raiology, I used Dermaveen for washing and used Sorbalene to keep the skin hydrated.We had a meeting with a nurse before the procedure and most of Her suggestions were well informed.My wife and I always have taken notes as there is so much to learn on this journey.We wish you and Darryn all the best.Hope this helps. Greg & De
0 Kudos
GeeGee
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Greg and De, Daz is doing ok with his treatments, he had the 8th one today and doesn't have side affects yet. The steroids are causing him more problems with joint pain. I hope your doing ok. Thanks for your kind words.
0 Kudos
Jodii
Occasional Contributor

My hubby just started 6 weeks of radiation last week on his primary site in his sacrum. The radiation has been trouble free thus far however as his wife and carer it has bought the reality of the Cancer diagnosis home to me and I have really struggled emotionally to cope this past week. He has terminal bone cancer that has spread extensively in his lungs, with no symptoms until recently. Any advice in this regard would be very much appreciated? Thanks J
0 Kudos
Jodii
Occasional Contributor

My hubby just started 6 weeks of radiation last week on his primary site in his sacrum. The radiation has been trouble free thus far however as his wife and carer it has bought the reality of the Cancer diagnosis home to me and I have really struggled emotionally to cope this past week. He has terminal bone cancer that has spread extensively in his lungs, with no symptoms until recently. Any advice in this regard would be very much appreciated? Thanks J
0 Kudos
GeeGee
Occasional Contributor

Hi J. So sorry to hear your husband is having radiation, it's not a nice thing to go through. I know each part of the body is so very different however the result is much the same, fatigue is the worst of the side effects and it is lasting so long. It has been 5 weeks since finishing treatment and Daz is stil so tired and grumpy. Poor thing is beside himself. At least one good thing has come of the fatigue, he has been to tired to smoke. It has been a couple of weeks now and he is still not smoking, so at least something good has come from all this. I hope your husband comes through ok. Good luck to both of you.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.