Son with Hodgkin's Lymphona

Debby
New Contributor

Son with Hodgkin's Lymphona

Hi everyone this is my first post. 

I am caring for my 32 year son who was diagnosed with HL in October. He has moved back home and I am very grateful for this. Is has not been easy coming to terms with this. I don't know if I will ever come to terms with it. My son is coping so much better than me. I feel so weak getting upset in front of him but crying sometimes gives me some sort of release. I have a cry then move on.

i was wondering if there is someone out there who might have or had HL around my son's age that I can talk too? Or maybe a parent in the same situation? As I have seen in a lot of other posts you find out who your true friends are. One are my best friends has only picked up the phone once. I feel so alone. I know if more of my friends would take the time to just say hello I would be much better.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Re: Son with Hodgkin's Lymphona

Hi Debby, I'm really sorry to hear you are in this situation.  I just wanted to post quickly to say hi, and don't worry about crying in front of your son- you can still be strong with tears on your cheeks. I used to joke that I was my husband's soggy rock (He was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma at 39, and 5 years on is healthier than ever.)   It's just evidence that you care. 

I hope your friends get in touch soon- in the meantime, I'm sending you a cyber hug. 

love and hugs, Emily

0 Kudos
Debby
New Contributor

Hi Emily

Thank you very much for the reply. I am pleased and hopeful to hear your husband is now well.

My son has a PET scan on Tuesday to see if the chemo is working, so a very anxious time at the moment. I am sure everything will go well.

The cyber hug meant a lot.

Debby

0 Kudos
Debby
New Contributor

@little_stitcher wrote:

Hi Debby, I'm really sorry to hear you are in this situation.  I just wanted to post quickly to say hi, and don't worry about crying in front of your son- you can still be strong with tears on your cheeks. I used to joke that I was my husband's soggy rock (He was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma at 39, and 5 years on is healthier than ever.)   It's just evidence that you care. 

I hope your friends get in touch soon- in the meantime, I'm sending you a cyber hug. 

love and hugs, Emily

Hi Emily

Thank you very much for the reply. I am pleased and hopeful to hear your husband is now well.

My son has a PET scan on Tuesday to see if the chemo is working, so a very anxious time at the moment. I am sure everything will go well.

The cyber hug meant a lot.

Debby

0 Kudos
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Ahhh, 'scanxiety'- the majority of people on this site can relate.  It sucks!  Keeping everything crossed for a good outcome.  xx

Kader
Occasional Visitor

Hi ladies, I am new to this group , so please be patient with me. Im sorry to you you both have experienced cancer with your hubby and son. My hubby 55 was diagnosed with Non Hodgkin lymphoma . He had gone through treatment for 2016. We are still u sure what's going to happen in the future. Early 2017 he became sick and the cardiologist believes he has got carmustine poison from the chemo. Do you know anything about this ? (Carmustine and how to deal with it) thanks for listening.

0 Kudos
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Hi Kader, my husband was treated with Bendamustine and Rituxamab, so I don't know anything about Carmustine.  I hope you get some answers soon.  love Emily

0 Kudos
Gab_CCNSW
Cancer Council NSW

Hi @Kader

Have you tried calling Cancer Council's Information & Support group on 13 11 20?  The consultants who answer the calls can often answer medical questions or give you guidance for how to clarify information.  Gab

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.