Supporting relative with lung cancer

StressedOut
Occasional Contributor

Supporting relative with lung cancer

Hi everyone I'm just new here. I'm supporting a relative with advanced lung cancer. Just looking to connect with other people also going through this. Caitlin

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Star
New Contributor

Hi Caitlin

Hi Caitlin, I too am supporting someone with advanced lung which has spread to the brain. I care for my mother who was diagnosed approximately one year ago. My mother has chosen not to have any treatment as in her case it did not weigh up. I also have been looking to connect with others that are experiencing similar things to myself. How are you doing?
0 Kudos
StressedOut
Occasional Contributor

Re: Supporting relative with lung cancer

Hi Star Sorry to take so long to get back to you. I'm sorry to hear about your mother. The person I am supporting has been given 8 months with treatment and 1 year without. He was diagnosed about 8 weeks ago and has chosen to receive chemo. He has a scan this week and has said, if it doesn't show any improvement, he might decide to stop the treatment, which is a frightening thought. How is your mother getting on? How are you coping? I'm doing ok at the moment. I've come over from New Zealand, so the biggest worry at the moment is paying for accommodation, food and transport. I need to try and find a job to support myself. I'm not staying with the person i'm supporting, as he is in a really small government housing unit. It would be great to talk to someone in a similar situation. Maybe we could met up for coffee sometime? If you'd like to contact me, please send me a Private Message I look forward to hearing from you Caitlin
0 Kudos
StressedOut
Occasional Contributor

Hi everyone I hope you all had an enjoyable Xmas with your loved ones. My dad is going in for his last lot of chemo tomorrow and i'm feeling panicked. The doctor's won't be able to tell us about the next course of treatment until he has a CAT scan in two weeks. I asked him if I could get his doctor's number to discuss supplements, clinical trials, etc, but he said no, he will talk to them to discuss anything. I have to respect his wishes, but I feel really hopeless and don't want to sit around for the next two weeks. I want to be doing something. My mum suggested talking to the nurses in the chemo ward, but would they be able to help? Do we need to consult with anyone if this is his last lot of chemo? Would it interfere with the drugs? Caitlin
0 Kudos
Kerro
Occasional Contributor

Hi Caitlin and Star So sorry to hear you are in this situation. I was as well - cared for my mother for 18 months through bowel cancer and then small cell lung cancer. I understand how tough it is. Happy to talk here any time. Take care of yourselves Kerro
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.