Watching my dad die - melanoma

daddysgirl
Not applicable

Watching my dad die - melanoma

Hi everyone, Im new to this forum as are the other new posters I guess. My Dad is currently at the end of his life but I have no idea how long he has to go. It's horrific watching him die. He had melanoma removed from his head in 2011. It was not taken very seriously - no radiotherapy or chemo - just removed. In Novemeber last year he found a lump under his arm. By early Decemeber we found he had cancer everywhere. Lungs, Liver, limphnodes etc. We were told he had 3-6 months. I was engaged and decided to move the wedding forward several years to Feburary so that Dad could be there. He was still in pretty great health. They tried some radiotherapy and chemo. After his third chemo we were told he did not respond. This was late March. I don't want him to suffer any more 😞
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
GeeGee
Occasional Contributor

Re: Watching my dad die - melanoma

So sorry to hear your going through this. I watched my Step Dad die of cancer about 5 years ago an dit was very hard. I know how you feel. Now my boyfriend has Melanoma and I am so upset I just don't know how to help he throuh this.I hope your Dad dosn't suffer to much. I don't know what else to say. I am thinking of you an dI am her if you want to talk. 🙂 Stay strong.
0 Kudos
Adele
New Contributor

Oh Gee Gee that is awful. Has he tried any intrvenous Vitamin C? I have melanoma and had all the nodes in my groin removed and am having a lot of success with Vit C and a very strict diet. I do hope that things improve.
0 Kudos
i-fight
Occasional Contributor

I'm very sorry your dad and you are going through all this. I also lost my father to cancer many years ago and till this day I remember that time of agony and despair. All I can say is that we find confort in knowing that he's in a better place. He was a wonderful person and we tend to think that these things don't happen to wonderful people. God only knows the purpose of all this. Keep positive that our lives and even death has a purpose. That's what I keep saying to myself after I've learned I have cancer myself. I choose to stay strong and be happy no matter what, even through suffering, Warmly.
0 Kudos
Roxy1
New Contributor

Hi, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad,our prayers and thoughts are with you. I'm going through a similar thing,my father was diagnosed with lung cancer 4 weeks ago. He was also diagnosed 4 yrs ago with Alzhiemers ,we were just getting our head around that and now we've been hit with a terminal cancer. We have been told he doesn't have long and are just trying to make the most of our time. My heart is broken,life will never be the same without him. Stay strong and enjoy your precious time.
0 Kudos
Roni
Occasional Contributor

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad, I do know what you are going through, my dad has terminal throat cancer, we don't know how long he has but we are trying to make the most of every minute. It is very hard seeing him in pain. Its the not knowing when things will get worse.. if you ever need to talk please pm me.. My thoughts are with you... Roni
0 Kudos
Roxy1
New Contributor

Hi roni, Thank you for your kind words, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. How long has your dad been sick?its so hard seeing them suffer, knowing there's nothing you can do. So many sad stories, wishing you all the best.
0 Kudos
Roni
Occasional Contributor

Thank you. My dad was first diagnosed Feb last year... had radical surgery, then initially refused chemo & radio from fear.. then the cancer came back with a vengeance... He went through hell with radio & chemo, and we were told in Dec that the cancer was reduced to the point they could not see it and we all believed he was on the road to recovery... In March it was back, and there was nothing they could do... They gave him 12 months at most... so he's having palliative chemo, never thought I'd say it but his best days are when he is on his chemo...the cancer has stayed the same size, for now. But the pain he is in constantly is a battle and I wish that I could take that pain and make it my own...I would give anything to give him a pain free day..... xo
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.