Young widows with children

purpleangels
Contributor

Re: Young widows with children

Widow......wow! That hadn't even occurred to me......... I am 40 with a 7 and 5 year old but am on the Far North Coast of NSW/ Gold Coast. My husband died three weeks ago, but Von, that is me....taking the kids out while dad slept, going to bed alone as he was passed out on pain meds. It is so hard, but I absolutely know what you are going through. I also take your point Beck about getting out and about. I think that will be my saving grace over the next little while. Thanks for the heads up for that website. Take care out there! PA
0 Kudos
G_A_Fisher
Occasional Contributor

Hi. I haven't been online for about 2 years because I joined up when we were starting our journey and I found the website too depressing. I lost my husband 8 weeks ago and like you all, are desperate to find YOUNG people with or without children who are going through what I am. I have a 3 year old and a 2 month old. I gave birth to our daughter while my husband was in hospital due to a complication during surgery to remove the brain tumor and cared for him at home during his final days. I live in the Albury/Wodonga area and there is a greif group but were told that I would be the youngest one there with most people in the 50's and above. There must be more like me in the area. I too am visiting a counsellour which is helping and I have lots of family and friends for support but I don't want to burden them with quite frankly feelings that they can't even start to understand. I think I will be making more time to get online. Would love to chat to anyone that it in a similar situation. Even getting online tonight to see everyones stories has made a difference. I am 33 years old. Amy.
0 Kudos
Von
Occasional Contributor

Hi all, I am in Geelong in Victoria. I am happy to chat / catch up with people. The word 'widow' is confronting. I am 41 now and I'd never imagined facing widowhood this young, although I always knew on the statistics I'd probably outlive my husband. My husband is currently doing better than expected, so although he wasn't supposed to make September this year (and his Super & Life insurance have now paid out) my gut feeling is that he'll do better than 'average'. He's healthy, still working and is tolerating treatment really well. He's had Sirtex therapy on his liver tumours which has been quite successful at significantly reduced his tumour load. After Easter we find out if a second shot at the Sirtex is possible. Amy - I get what you mean about not wanting to burden friends and family. I do not speak to many people about how I am feeling / coping with this journey. Part of me doesn't want to go there - and part of me knows that if I do, I will crumble. I am strong because I have to be strong for my kids and for me. Like you, I don't think most people really understand. I have a good friend who has survived Breast Cancer and she has been fantastic help - she understands that practical help and distraction on nights alone make a big difference. I have another friend who was widowed due to cancer a couple of years ago, and she has been great at bouncing thoughts off (especially those uncharitable thoughts that I'd never share with others like - I wish this would all be over!). LIfe does go on. As time goes on I am accepting that, and planning for two outcomes - a miracle outcome where he lives, and life on my own. Can't quite picture moving on with another partner yet, but I know that day will come too. Happy to chat, Von
0 Kudos
Ktjeffs
New Contributor

I lost my husband 2 and a half years ago. I am 26 with a 12 month old and am 13 weeks pregnant with our number two. This was his third diagnoses, but a fast decline. 8 weeks. Lost 40lbs. Had two surgeries. Just gone. A 26 year widow, now single and pregnant. We also have a 14 year old foster child.
0 Kudos
Ktjeffs
New Contributor

Oops. 2 an a half weeks!!
0 Kudos
beck2930
Contributor

Hi All I have started my own group on facebook. NSW widows it is called. Its a secret group so you may not be able to find it. If you look up Rebecca Walker or Petina Snook we will add you to the group.
0 Kudos
G_A_Fisher
Occasional Contributor

Hi bec, can't find nsw widows or petina snook on Facebook . lots of Rebecca walkers. Can you give me more clues? alternatively find me, amy fisher fRom browns plains
0 Kudos
beck2930
Contributor

oh i think that is my settings I will look you up. Amy Fisher is that right
0 Kudos
beck2930
Contributor

I cant find you either um oh i can add you via your facebook email
0 Kudos
beck2930
Contributor

Have a look now you should be able to find Nsw widows
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.