Mum has new pelvic mass after complete hysterectomy to remove endometrial carcinoma

Not applicable

Mum has new pelvic mass after complete hysterectomy to remove endometrial carcinoma

Hi My mum is now 81 and has moderate/severe dementia. In 2009 she had a complete hysterectomy to remove a growth that turned out to be a Grade 2, Stage 2 carcinoma. She refused further treatment. Last July she had an MRI which showed that she had a new pelvic mass about 8 cm that they thought unlikely to be malignant. She had an ultrasound in January and the pelvic mass has grown to 10cm. We went to the Dr today and he told us it was malignant. Mum has refused further treatment, and the Dr agreed that at her age, condition and with the dementia that any treatment would not be advisable. At the moment, she is not in any pain apart from the occasional tummy ache but I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me an idea of what is to be expected as nature takes it's course. Thank you very much
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Jules2
Super Contributor

Re: Mum has new pelvic mass after complete hysterectomy to ...

Hiya Sorry to hear about your mum's diagnosis that must be incredibly tough for you combined with her alzheimers. There is a website that talks about end stage cancer and what to expect. I am sorry but I can't quite recall the addy of it. Wishing you all the very best. Julie
0 Kudos
Wendy_L
Not applicable

Re: Mum has new pelvic mass after complete hysterectomy to ...

Hello, So sorry to hear your news. I can relate to your situ as my Mother 87yrs is Terminal. As her Carer I was looking for the same info to help me to foresee the changes she is going through and how to deal with what is inevitable. I found this site and it does give you insight. http://www.livestrong.com/article/253822-final-stages-of-life-from-cancer/ My Mother has a mass in the groin which was a lymph node they missed. We are trying alternative treatments as in diet an supplements, but its difficult with the elderly and her mobility from the Mass is limiting this.Her's is a rare Vulva Cancer.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.