here for my mum

mymummassick
New Contributor

here for my mum

just found out yesterday that my mother has tumors on her liver and one in her bile duct. info and forums are scarce. Im so scared. the doctors without doing a biopsy yet have pretty much told us is cancer by what has shown in tests and scans and symptoms. im just looking for support by people who may understand what im going though, my mum is only 56 and its the first major health problem she has had. first time in 33 years she been in hospital. she still has all her teeth and and organs. My sister and i have young kids who love their nanna. It shouldn't happen to my healthy mother who bearly gets a cold.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
mymummassick
New Contributor

Re: here for my mum

We've found out more about what is happening. The tumor is on the very tip of the pancreas which was squeezing the bile duct preventing the bile duct to work properly. So, they operated and did a double Bilery bypass to relieve mum from her severe jaundice and so that the tumor wont affect the function any more. Once she has healed and is stronger they will start her with chemo. I am so scared. what ive looked up so far doesn't bode well for remission, and as they predict that the tumors in her liver are secondary cancers it means its harder to treat and drops the survival rate. Looking for advice and support as it is still early days. weve only known for just 3 weeks but already feels like forever
0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

As you say your mum will be starting Chemotherapy when well enough, Chemo affects people differently, some have minimal effects while others feel it, try and get Mum not to go to chemo expecting the worst When she starts it will be explained what she can possibly expect from the treatment, if you have questions along the way try and have them written in note form as it can be stressful and you can forget to ask what you have planned to.ask the Oncologist ,good luck with her treatment, it is a very stressfull period in all your lives. You must look after your self as well. kj
0 Kudos
mymummassick
New Contributor

thanks for your comment. My mum is a private lady who only lets us know what she wants us to know. It's hard as im an info girl who wants to know instantly what is going on lol. Mum was seeing an oncologist today to find out what the next step is. But her being her she probably wont mention anything to my sister and i until she gets home (She's currently away). But, i have to respect her wishes and just let things be (as hard as it is. Like she says "what will be, will be".
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.