masectomy

j.cee
New Contributor

masectomy

my mum has recently being diagnosed with cancer and within weeks they booked her in for a masectomy.  she has had barely any time to take the whole process in.  Is her doctor meant to offer counselling or is that done through the hospital after surgery? it would make more sense if it was offered to her prior to surgery to prepare herself mentally. also i heard that drs are meant to offer breast reconstruction at the same time but when we brought it up he dismissed it and wasnt at all helpful. has anyone got some advice. Poor mum has only had a week to prepare - as I said it was very sudden. please reply if you can help
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Not applicable

masectomy

Hello, Sorry to hear of your mums diagnosis. I had another form of cancer so cant offer you any advice based on my own personal experiences, however my mum is recovering from mastectomy, her second time diagnosed in 11 years. She did have a reconstruction at the same time & she was in surgery nearly 12 hours. In her case though she had ductal breast cancer so the cancer was confined to the ducts and was not in the surrounding tissue. I think that is the reason she was offered the reconstruction at the same time. If she required more radiation or chemo then I think they would have done the reconstruction at a later time when the other treatments were finished. There are breast cancer nurses who will come and see your mum before or after surgery, I think they work from most major hosptials in NSW. There are also volunteers who have been down the same path who are available to help with advice. I would suggest your mum rings the cancer council helpline. There will be someone who can point her in the right direction. Also there should be a counsellor at the hospital or that her oncologist can recommend. I saw a social worker throughout my treatments, I went through the Royal North Shore Hospital. I hope that helps a bit. I wish your mum all the best for a speedy recovery. Also I should tell you that my mum is doing so well, it has been just 8 or 9 weeks and she is back doing everything she was before hand. I know how hard it is to watch your mum have to go through this. But she will bounce back & although you get the odd Doctor who isnt helpful, most are really great. Take care.
0 Kudos
j.cee
New Contributor

masectomy

thankyou for the advice.I hope that the masectomy for mum is the end of it but doctor is still running tests on the lymph glands that they have taken out. Im glad your mum is doing well. I read your home page that says you have cancer of the cervix - what were ur symptoms and i am sorry to hear.  My mum also had cancer of the uterus but that was 20 years ago all the best
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.