2010 a long road ahead

julie190270
Occasional Contributor

2010 a long road ahead

wow 2010 and I dont like this year already,3 days before xmas my 17 yr old son was diagnosed with lymphoma,the stage and type ? we dont know yet,we are off to Sydney tomorrow for bone marrow biospy and PET scan and whatever tests the dr says he has to have,Its not fair,I know Im not coping but Im trying to,Alex has avoided me as much as possible since the diagnosis but thats his way of dealing with it ,his freinds and g/f have been great,his dr gave me valium but Im only taking it when Im about to go into total breakdown mode . Alex is very positive so thats a good thing altho he his dreading the bone marrow biopsy ,thats the only thing he has really complained about so far,we have a 6 hour journey tomorrow to get to sydney so hopefully lots of good conversation on the way,I personally will feel better when we know what stage and what type and how they are going to treat him,and to the dr who told us that his piercings were the cause of 12 nodes on the left and 4 on the right all over 2cm wide being swollen and not to worry about it,go back to medical school,but to the dr who got things moving really quickly,*thanks Sean * Hope to chat to u all soon Julie
0 Kudos
45 REPLIES 45
Jules2
Super Contributor

Re: 2010 a long road ahead

Hey Julie Will be thinking of you all. I just empathise with you so much as i have a son around your boys age. I hope that you have a good trip and that all your appointments go smoothly for you. Take care Julie
0 Kudos
julie190270
Occasional Contributor

Thanx Julie,u just dont think that a very fit and healthy young boy is going to get cancer.he doesnt smoke,drink ,is very involved in charity work,a hard worker,and the life and soul of whatever crowd he is in,at least we are going to a great hospital RPA ,gotta be better than what we have here in Dubbo,just means that when he has radio we will be in syd for the whole time, Hope the start to this yr is a good one for u ,love and thoughts and prayers to u Julie x
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Julie There is no rhyme or reason with cancer i dont think. It just does not seem fair!!! You will get through all of this and yes its a tough gig but its doable. Being a country patient is hard at times and i would urge you to get in touch with a social worker or someone like that who can give you the heads up about what is available re helping you out. Hope thats not too invasive on you, i just know (being a country patient) that being given good information can make life a little easier. Julie xo
0 Kudos
julie190270
Occasional Contributor

ur so very right, the leukemia foundation rang me within a hour of getting home from hospital and are helping me out greatly,its also great that theres a website like this ,I have a feeling Im going to make some great new freinds,and that Ive made one already :) Hope ur having a good day today .where abouts in the country are u ?? Julie x
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hi Julie Thank you it is nice to be considered a friend. 🙂 The feeling is mutual. Thats fantastic that you have had someone contact you already. Reach out and take all the help you can get because it may not be now that you absolutely need it but later you will. So you may aswell put it in place. Sorry, i dont mean to be telling you what to do ... i am really talking in hindsight of my experience and it may not be the same for you. I live in western australia in a place called "Roelands" which is on the highway from Perth to Bunbury. It is a blink and you will miss it kind of town!! haha I certainly havent had to travell as far as you have. Julie
0 Kudos
julie190270
Occasional Contributor

well Im off now to take my other 2 boys off to their dad, they are nearly 15 and 11 ,my eldest son 19 became a dad on tuesday so we have a little ray of sunshine happening ,I will try and touch base before I leave in the morning,take care for now and I will be thinking of you . Julie x
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Thanks Julie you take care also and will be thinking of you both and congrats on the grandy!! How wonderful!!! Julie xo
0 Kudos
Teacher_Mum
Contributor

My thoughts and prayers are with you. I too am a country patient and Jules is right - there are resources out there to help with your journey. xxxx Keep us posted.
0 Kudos
Mrs_Elton
Contributor

Hi Julie, Safe journey tomorrow, take extra care on the road and I hope it is conducive to some good conversation time with Alex. Congratulations on your new grandchild, I truly hope that you can find some moments of joy in your precious 'ray of sunshine'! Really glad to hear of the support from the leukemia foundation, as Julie (jules2) said, take all the support you can get, while you can get it. Thinking of you and Alex, wishing you strength. Regards, Jill.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.