Dad's chemo is working, but Oncologist wants to stop treatment - I don't understand why?

RaeleneH
Occasional Contributor

Dad's chemo is working, but Oncologist wants to stop treatment - I don't understand why?

Hi everyone This is the first forum I have ever been on so I hope I don't mess things up. I am here to get some feedback/support as I am worried about my wonderful Dad who has Stage 3 Non-Small Cell (Squamous Cell) Lung Cancer. He is about to complete his 6th cycle of chemotherapy (Gemcitabene/Carboplatin) and his Oncologist said he would then go on to follow up treatment. The tumour has shrunk by 1.1 cm and the cancer in his lymph nodes (neck) hasn't spread.I thought this was great news as that means the chemotherapy is working, doesn't it? Now (3 weeks late) the Oncologist has shocked us by saying that he has changed his mind and will not be offering follow up treatment at the end of cycle 6 as the chemotherapy isn't working. I don't understand this as I thought it was! Our family is so worried that we are urging Dad to get a second opinion. Has anyone else had their treatment stopped even though it appears to be working? I would love to hear from anyone that may be able to explain it more clearly without the medical talk. I may not respond immediately as I am Dad's carer and spend a lot of time with him and Mum and cannot always get access to my computer, but I promise to return to this forum as much as possible. Hope to hear from you and start making some friends along the way! Thanks for reading my post and hope you can understand it as I tend to ramble on a bit for which I apologise. Thanks Raelene
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Chebz
Occasional Contributor

Re: Dad's chemo is working, but Oncologist wants to stop ...

Hi Raelene When they said it was working previously, was that based on blood tests? Michelle
0 Kudos
RaeleneH
Occasional Contributor

Hi Michelle It was after he had a CT Scan that they said the tumour has shrunk by 1.1 cm. Raelene
0 Kudos
Chebz
Occasional Contributor

Hi Raelene I can't really help with this one as my dads monitoring of his cancer during his battle was very different, pet scans and blood tests. I would suggest calling the oncology department and asking for the oncologist to call you. Ask him to explain more clearly. If you're not satisfied I would get another opinion. Cancer can change very quickly. I hope someone on here has been through a similar experience and can help. Dads oncology team didn't clue onto the fact that his cancer had mutated until it was too late.
0 Kudos
topenddownunder
Contributor

Hi Raelene, I too have NSC Lung cancer Stage 4 and was on the Gem/Carbo combination for about 4 months. I had a 60% reduction in my Tumor but was then put onto Alimta, which I have been on for 3 months.I am due to have a CT Scan next week.The Gem/Carbo Chemo knocked my blood count around too much and I was getting delayed Chemo every fortnight.I am on the understanding I will be continuing the Alimta Chemo as it is supposed to be a maintenence (or ongoing) Chemo. Maybe this could be a solution for your dad? I would be asking your Oncologist why he is making his decision and Definately ask to get a second opinion if he is not happy.Dont hesitate to contact me if I can help Greg & De PS..We have always taken notes when with the oncologist, and always tried to be Pro-Active about any decision to my Treatment.I have lots of links to websites that may help.
0 Kudos
RaeleneH
Occasional Contributor

Hi Greg Thanks for your reply. It's wonderful that you had a 60% reduction in your tumour. Best wishes for your next CT Scan. The maintenance chemo that you mention is what I was expecting for Dad and was very disappointed when the Oncologist withdrew the offer. I will definitely be asking about this as a possibility! I am almost certain that I have convinced Dad to get a second opinion, but he wants to wait until after his next CT Scan which isn't until 18 May. I would be very interested in the links to the websites that you mentioned. Take care Raelene
0 Kudos
RaeleneH
Occasional Contributor

Hi Michelle I am almost certain that I have convinced Dad to get a second opinion, but he wants to wait until after his next CT Scan, which isn't until 18 May. Yes, cancer can change quickly and that's what worries me with him waiting until May. I am hoping we can find an Oncologist who will take the time to sit and explain things clearly as his current Oncologist wont. Take care Raelene
0 Kudos
topenddownunder
Contributor

Hi Raelene..sorry I havent been in contact earlier..I`ve had the results of wanting (not hearing) the results of my ctscan last Thursday...finally today was told tumor is reducing slightly by about 2mm after 3 months on Alimpta.The cancer has not spread back to Lymph gland so diagnosis is another 3 months on Alimta then either Bone scan or PET to determine Tumor and secondary in bone in Pelvis.Anyway, I hope all is going well for you and your Dad.I`ve had Chemo today and it will start to kick in tomorrow or Friday when the Steroids stop working. I will send some links for you tomorrow or over the weekend when I have more time as this last week has taken a lot out of me.All the best for you and your family Greg & De
0 Kudos
RaeleneH
Occasional Contributor

Hi Greg I am so glad you received good results from your CTscan. A reduction is always good news! I pray you have a better week ahead of you. Dad is on a break from treatment just now. His Haemoglobin and Platelets are low. He has a CTscan in 3 weeks and sees his Oncologist 2 weeks after that. Not sure what will happen then. Take your time in sending the links, just rest and look after yourself. All the best, Take care Raelene
0 Kudos
RaeleneH
Occasional Contributor

Hi Greg I am so glad you received good results from your CTscan. A reduction is always good news! I pray you have a better week ahead of you. Dad is on a break from treatment just now. His Haemoglobin and Platelets are low. He has a CTscan in 3 weeks and sees his Oncologist 2 weeks after that. Not sure what will happen then. Take your time in sending the links, just rest and look after yourself. All the best, Take care Raelene
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.