Hello

Not applicable

Hello

Hello, I'm Helen and 6 days ago we found. out the love of my life has pancreactic cancer.We discovered it has spread to the liver and the lungs and it has totally blown me away and though in shock about the diagnosis I don't know what to do or where to turn in the hope someone understands.At this stage its in the early stages and the doctors are talking about chemotherapy.I have got hold of some material on this website to read but my boyfriend and I would like to know what exactly is involved with chemotherapy please Much appreciated:)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Jules2
Super Contributor

Re: Hello

Hiya Helen I am very sorry to hear of your partners diagnosis and you both are probably in shock right at the moment. Chemo is pretty individual really as some just find it different to others. I think your best bet to find out info is to research those that have had it for pancreatic cancer. When i was having radiotherapy a woman there was having chemo and radiotherapy for pancreatic cancer. She coped really well and only felt a bit squeamish every now and again and that was the radiotherapy more than the chemo. Whether it is the same chemo you partner is to have i dont know. Your best bet would be to research pancreatic and chemo. There is a great site i go to for more specific information from people and i can email that to you if you want. Cheers Julie
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Julie Thanks for your reply. I think my partner has taken the diagnosis alot better then I have. He is very optimistic and positive and has confidence in what lies ahead for him. Whats distressing for me is watching him get worse and worse everyday. The weight dropping not eating I think I just never thought cancer would hit so close to home. I know I have to give myself time to come to terms with his diagnosis as much as he has to.I know i have to be strong for him and our children I just hope this treatment works
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hi Helen The first bit is sometimes the worse bit. Once you actually get on the track of treatment and such it changes things. Hang in there and the cancer council offer some great services. Social workers attached to the hospital you are going to be attending are another great source of information. You might get a nurse coordinator and once again another wonderful source of information and back up for you. Dont be afraid to reach out and get help! This is a fantastic website to vent or share or whatever you want to use it for really. Just reading is enough for some people. 🙂 On this journey you have to be a little bit selfish and make time for you. Everyone that goes through it needs "you / me" time whether you be a carer, friend or patient. Julie xo
0 Kudos
WishingStar
Contributor

Hi Helen, Sending you and your partner good vibes and strength for the journey ahead, Nicole
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.