Hi, my dad has recently been diagnosed.....

smile
Not applicable

Hi, my dad has recently been diagnosed.....

My dad has recently been diagnosed with throat cancer (lymphoma) after doctors for months told him that he had a 'virus'. After a week in hospital, a tracheotomy and numerous tests he was sent home to await news about chemo treatment. A week on It seems the waiting continues... The waiting is the hardest, my dad after handling the initial diagnosis well (thankful that they finally found out something was wrong with him) seems to be visibly weakening / getting more depressed whilst he seems to be lost in the system... Meanwhile my mum can't sleep worrying about him possibly stopping breathing, getting closer and closer to a breakdown each day. So here I am at 2.30am, at my parents' house, listening for my dad's breaths, so that my mum has enough peace of mind to get a few hours sleep. I am certain he will be ok, something just tells me but I know we have a long road ahead. Searching for answers for support, I have found this site and am thankful. Thank you for listening, thank you for sharing your stories. I am wondering how long after diagnosis you or your loved one had to wait before treatment began? Any tips on how not to be lost in the "system"? Thank you again
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
loupylass
Occasional Contributor

Re: Hi, my dad has recently been diagnosed.....

I found myself in a similar situation but for a different type of throat cancer and it took about 3 months for it all to be sorted out. I am six months into my relationship with cancer and I've still not had a definitive diagnosis nor any further treatment offered. I do know I am still in the system as I see my doctors at least once a month but it all seems to take time to organise. When you are sick, even a day seems like a lifetime and when you're worried silly (like your Dad will be) then a slight delay can bring you down. I speak from experience, I had to wait over a month for my radiotherapy to begin. He'll be fine and you can always phone the receptionist at the department to gently enquire about how long the normal wait is. At least it will put everyones mind at rest. Good luck and stay calm xx
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

Re: Hi, my dad has recently been diagnosed.....

I am sorry about your dad's diagnosis . Between surgery and radiation and/or chemo I think there is nearly always a gap of weeks . Often it is recovery from surgery time ,sometimes other reasons .I had about 10 weeks between surgery and radiation as I had to recover from surgery and then got to see about radiation My ENT told me when to make an appointment with the radiation /oncologist . Then there was a lot of planning required and even later the starting date was moved because it was a difficult case they told me and a few more days were needed. The waiting is often the hardest because we want it all done in a hurry . If you have concerns never hesitate to ask the doctor or the hospital who is handling your dad's case. You may not get answers straightaway but it may happen sooner . It's good that your mum and dad have you to help . It is a frightening thing to have a cancer diagnosis . Lots of support is needed. Your dad's gp may be able to help with some things too . I think gps so much more accessible . All the best .
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.