Immunotherapy for Gallbladder Cancer

anneidril
Occasional Contributor

Immunotherapy for Gallbladder Cancer

Hi everyone, 

I was just wondering if there are any immunotherapy drugs on the PBS that could be given to my Mum (advanced gallbladder cancer)?

We know there's an ongoing trial at the ONJCRI with immunotherapy for rare cancers, but we don't know how long that would be for & I don't think Mum wants to relocate from QLD to Melbourne for an extended period of time. 

She's currently going through chemo but they tell us that's essentially only to make her comfortable; we'd like to ensure she stays here with us for much longer than the prognosis.

Wishing you all the very best, 

Anne.

7 REPLIES 7
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: Immunotherapy for Gallbladder Cancer

Morning @anneidril and welcome to the community!

How are both yourself and your mum doing today?

Our team here at Cancer Council has put together a fantastic book on understanding clinical trials and research, you can download the pdf version for free here.

One website I can think off the top of my head would be the Clinical Trials knowledgebase maintained by Rare Cancers Australia, these are ones that are currently recruiting and you can visit that one here.

There's also a section in the book I mentioned above with some additional websites that are worth taking a look at on page 38-39.

Cheers,

Kate

Online Community Manager

anneidril
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Katekat,

Thank you for letting me know about these resources!

I was given some reading material re the trial I mentioned but a lot of it went over my head - I look forward to reading what you've suggested. 

All the best to you, 

Anne.

0 Kudos
looker_labs
Contributor

Why not just have the GB removed?

My boss had his done and said he never felt better.

0 Kudos
anneidril
Occasional Contributor

We can't remove the gallbladder as the cancer is spread too extensively, from the gallbladder it's gone through other areas. 

I'm glad your boss feels okay. 

0 Kudos
looker_labs
Contributor

My old boss had severe pain and I had to drive him to the hospital.

It must have been gallstones but I heard it removed for cancer too.

• Ipilimumab (Yervoy)
  • Nivolumab (Opdivo)
  • Pembrolizumab (Keytruda)
  • Atezolizumab (Tecentriq)
  • Avelumab (Bavencio)
  • Durvalumab (Imfinzi)

Are all immunotherapy drugs but none of those I beleve

are used for gallbladder.  In fact it seems only clinical trials

provide that.

"Chemotherapy has been used extensively in advanced GBC and we have gained some experience with gemcitabine-based combination (with cisplatin and oxaliplatin or with capecitabine) regimens. The recent phase III study showing longer survival with gemcitabine and cisplatin than with gemcitabine alone has set a new standard for this disease."

- a cancer journal from 2010

All these drugs are relatively old i think except oxaiplaton

but I know if they could shrink it down then maybe they could

even operate or use radiation.

So what I would do is treat with the cisplatin-capecitabine (std regimin) and thn wiht oxaliplatin

(std regimin) and then mit radioactivity ?Mev

Search: Google>>Gallbladder cancer treatment   re 2009 2010 2011 journalEnc

befor attempting surg soln

0 Kudos
Melisa0612
New Contributor

Hi my mom is diagnosed as stage 4 of gallbladder cancer. Here's a story about her. At May 17 she had operation to remove the gallbladder since there're some gallstones and can't be done by laparoscopy. Unfortunately, at May 24, the lab showed us that she got gallbladder cancer at least stadium 2  (the poorly differentiated adenocarcinoma with signet ring cell). At May 30, she got whipple operation because doctor said it can't be done only by removed the bile duct and part of liver. From the operation, she diagnosed as stage 3b (T3, N1, M0) of gallbladder cancer. Since it's M0, she can back home and got recovery first, then have the chemotherapy. At July 22, she had her 1st chemotherapy by took the Xeloda (3 morning, 3 evening) in 2 weeks, have a break 1 week, and take the blood test, then send the result to Singapore. If doctor says continue, she can continue the 2nd cycle. Every 2 cycle she had, she need to go back to Singapore. Repeat this until 8 cycles. Sadly, she has never been better since the operation was done. She still feel the pain, loss appetite, and many more. When she was going to cycle 6, suddenly her pain got worse, and we flied to Singapore. At November 12,  she had CT and PET Scan, and it showed that the cancer already spreads to lymph nodes. The doctor said she can’t be cured and all she can do is only control the cell with the chemotherapy (gemcitabine-based combination with TS-1 T20). 

My question is.. is there any better treatment for her? 

anneidril
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Melisa0612 - I'm sorry my reply is tardy. My beautiful Mum passed away in August and I struggled to handle anything dealing with cancer.

I'm afraid I wouldn't have been much use, as all I knew was what I outlined we tried for my own Mum - they tried that gemcitabine on her and another chemotherapy when that failed. I can't recall what it was but it was also unsuccessful.

If your Mum had been eligible for immunotherapy it may have helped but I don't know if they tried that for her?

There are certain markers needed for that from what I understand. My Mum didnt have them so it wasn't an option for her.

Sending you so many hugs, I am so sorry to hear about your Mum's struggles with cancer xxxx

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.