Lung Cancer and Pleurodesis surgery: Does anyone have experience/feedback on this type of surgery?

Latoyah
New Contributor

Lung Cancer and Pleurodesis surgery: Does anyone have experience/feedback on this type of surgery?

Hello, This is my first post on this forum, and I'm not entirely sure how active this community is - but I thought I would try it anyway as the more information that is shared, the more it will help, and hopefully I'll be able to give back and help someone one day in return. My mum has just been diagnosed stage 4 lung cancer (non small cell adenocarcinoma). And while the cancer cannot be defeated at this stage and it has been estimated there are 4 years left of her life, the surgical oncologist is recommending the pleurodesis operation where talcum powder is instilled into the pleural space (between the lung and chest wall). The powder inflames the membranes and make them stick together. This then causes scarring which will hopefully close the space between the pleura, preventing the fluid from coming back. We've been told it's painful, and that chemo will follow. There is only so much Googling that can be done in this instance without going a little crazy. Is there any one living with lung cancer who would be willing to share their thoughts on this procedure? I'd be so grateful for any information that could be provided. Thanks so much.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
topenddownunder
Contributor

Re: Lung Cancer and Pleurodesis surgery: Does anyone have ...

Hi Latoyah.. I not so sure about the "pleurodesis operation", this hasnt been mentioned to me. I have stage 4 Lung cancer (non small cell adenocarcinoma) diagnosed about 6 months ago.Initially the Doctors in Townsville were keen to cut the top part of the right lung out, until the Cancer was discovered in my pelvis and my Lympth Gland, I have been on oncology with Chemo for 3 cycles (3 MONTHS)in Cairns and have had radiation on the pelvis but just for pain management.I have been very Pro Active, not on only this site but many more and have changed my lifestyle and diet accordingly whilst still negotiating with pharmacists and dietitians at the Cancer Clinic.My Tumor is located at the top of the right lung and has decreased in size by nearly 50% in the three months.It hasnt been "A walk in the park" with Chemo affecting my blood count nearly every month.I have had two blood transfusions and two stays in hospital with infections due to low blood counts, but, the light at the end of the tunnel is there.My Oncologist is very happy with my latest CT Scan, and I firmly believe with a few dietary changes, along with some approved additive medicine (some herbal) achievements can be reached.I hope this reply gives you some answers, or at least helps in some way. All the Best Greg
0 Kudos
Latoyah
New Contributor

Thank you so, so much Greg. I appreciate your information and words of encouragement so much. That's a wonderful result for you, and I wish you all the best!
0 Kudos
jbgirl
Not applicable

Hi, I have the same diagnosis as your Mum and though this might be of some help. I had the pleurodesis surgery about 3 months ago. The surgery took about half and hour where a drain was inserted. )I still had a bit of fluid on the lung) . I was in hospital for about 3 nights. The insertion by the Doctor of the drain was made under my arm. The drain was uncomfortable but you get used to it. This drain removes any existing fluid. The talc really works- I was very skeptical myself but I'm pleased with the outcome. Scar is hardly noticeable. Everyone is different in pain management but I would seriously consider having it done to help with breathing. jbgirl Good luck Hope this helps
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.