Mum diagnosed with Stage 3c Bowel Cancer

SherylCasta
New Contributor

Mum diagnosed with Stage 3c Bowel Cancer

Hi, I am new to the forum.  My mum has recently been diagnosed with stage3c bowel cancer.  She had surgery in mid February and they were able to remove the cancer near her sigmoid, however after surgery were told that the cancer was quite extensive as it had gone through all of her bowel walls.  The Surgeon was able to remove about 20 lymphnodes as well, and 4 of them were cancerous.  We were sent to see an Oncologist to discuss chemotherapy treatment for her, however due to her age (she is 75) and her condition (she is very frail, weighing at 41kg) the Oncologist felt that the side effects of chemo would outweigh the benefits for her.  We did seek a second opinion from another Oncologist and he felt the same way re: chemotherapy.  So we have decided to go ahead with a "wait and watch" option where she will have a CT scan and blood test every 3 months to check for recurrence.  The Oncologist also suggested that my mum (and dad) see a Psychologist as her worries are very pervasive - however I am finding it very hard to convince them.  I suppose I am just wondering if anyone is going through the same thing? That is, been diagnosed with stage 3 and not undergoing chemo due to their health.   It is very scary as we essentially are waiting for the cancer to return - we just don't know when. Any advice or insight would be wonderful, and much appreciated.  Thank you 🙂

4 REPLIES 4
MyheroCoolSpy
Frequent Contributor

Re: Mum diagnosed with Stage 3c Bowel Cancer

I 'm not an expert in this field, but there are threads here that are likely related to your concern. Hope you'll find time to read them and hoping that you will be able to gain positive insights. As to your mom, believe on her that she can surpass her troubles. 

0 Kudos
SherylCasta
New Contributor

Thanks so much for replying, I appreciate you taking the time. I will definitely navigate the site to see if I can read others’ experiences that mirror my mums diagnosis and our experience as a family alongside her.  We are definitely making sure that she stays positive especially for her own mental health - that also means staying active as both Oncologists really focused on how remaining active helps her whole well being as well as to fight cancer.  She had a meningioma 7 years ago which really affected her whole well being so something like a cancer diagnosis would be even more worrisome for her (and of course us). The real take away from her diagnosis is that we can’t let the worries of the future destroy the present. 

0 Kudos
Parker
New Contributor

Hi SherylCasta,

I'm so sorry about your mom,
My dad also had small bowel cancer stage 3c which has spread to bowel wall and many lymp nodes in his bowel. however, after surgery and stay in hospital for a month, he is still pain everyday at home. every time the pain come, he is unable to sleep and eat, his legs and arm get seizure, i see that pain is severe pain. painkillers is used to help him with the pain.

Has anybody had you love one experience this?

I just scared to see my dad in pain everyday

Thank you
0 Kudos
MelissaBecker

My dad too had small bowel cancer stage 3c, which advanced to the gut wall and numerous lymph nodes in his colon. I'm so sorry about your mom. However, he continues to have daily discomfort at home even after surgery and a month in the hospital. Every time the pain strikes, he is unable to eat or sleep, and his arms and legs experience seizures. I can tell that the discomfort is quite bad. He receives painkillers to aid with the discomfort.

Has anyone had this happen to a loved one?

I'm just afraid of seeing my father suffer every day. 

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.